sound out of synch

petercr49

Standard Member
Why is my sound out of synch with the picture? The sound appears to be about half a second after the picture which is annoying for speech. Also, I run 2 TV's off the aerial and one TV is about a second behind the other TV. i have Freeview via a box and I have renewed the aerial. We are in a weak signal positionand there is a signal booster unit in the system

Gavtech

Administrator
Why is my sound out of synch with the picture? The sound appears to be about half a second after the picture which is annoying for speech. Also, I run 2 TV's off the aerial and one TV is about a second behind the other TV.

Welcome to the forum.

It is not clear here whether you have a sync problem within the same set ... or a difference between the two TV's only... which is normal and not an issue at all... It arises because of the differing latency each system has dependent on the amount of processing in each system.

There can also be sync differences of several seconds if one system is receiving by analogue and the other digital.
i have Freeview via a box and I have renewed the aerial. We are in a weak signal positionand there is a signal booster unit in the system

None of those factors can have any bearing on sync issues.

petercr49

Standard Member
Thanks for your reply. OK, I understand your explanation about the difference between two sets. However, yes I do have a problem of sound/picture synch on a single TV. The sound is noticeably later than the picture but not always the same time difference. Sometimes it is worse than others. Sometime it can appear to be almost a whole second out and other times it can be less, but still out of synch.

Gavtech

Administrator
Thanks for your reply. OK, I understand your explanation about the difference between two sets. However, yes I do have a problem of sound/picture synch on a single TV. The sound is noticeably later than the picture but not always the same time difference. Sometimes it is worse than others. Sometime it can appear to be almost a whole second out and other times it can be less, but still out of synch.

You would need to quote the make and model of TV... and this would be a very rare fault that would have to involve the manufacturer.

That is also assuming that the signal source is an internal one derived from the TV's tuner.

You've not mentioned the source here, but I am guessing it is going to be for DVD's you have burned on a computer played through a DVDR player or recorder.. in which case it is not the TV that is the problem but the methodology of the way the discs are produced that is the problem.

MarkE19

It is nearly always the picture that is behind the audio and this is because of the amount of digital processing being done on the picture on modern plasma/LCD TV's. As also mentioned it is normally more of an issue when the source is external to the TV, ie STB, DVD player etc and the audio is being sent to a surround sound system.

If it is the internal Freeview tuner in the TV then you may find that changing channel and then back again may put the audio & video back in sync. Also try turning all the video processing off that you can as this may help as well.
If it is external sources then all the above applies, but you can often set an audio delay in many surround sound systems, or if not built in they can be bought as a separate unit to put into the chain. Also if it is a home made DVD then things like slower burning speeds and 2 pass rendering may help with the issue.

Mark.

petercr49

Standard Member
You're quite right, it is the picture behind the sound, I hadn't studied it that closely, I just knew it was out of synch. The problem occurs just watching Freeview, not DVD's or anything else. I receive Freview via a Set top box so as you indicate, it is more of a problem with a separate source. Changing channel does sometimes improves the problem. Maybe I just buy a set with built-in receiver.

many thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom