Sound out of sync?

Wobbler03

Standard Member
Reaction score
I plug a basic 2.1 sound system (sub-woofer and 2 speakers) into the external speakers sockets of my Samsung plasma TV. I have to turn my TV sound right down to inaudible to stop the echoing effect, where the ext and int speakers are slightly out of sync. Is this normal/usual or do I have a problem?

your connection isnt exactly the best - your effectively using the headphone jack as an output for a sub and two fronts.

echoing would be normal, mant current tvs have sound options to resync/adjust echo.

all depends on your speakers and tv ur using??

Thanks. I'm using the specific ext. speakers (left and right) connections on the TV and left/right inputs into the sub, so I assumed that was a step up from the headphone output, thus eliminating this sort of thing. Manual says to plug external sound equipment into these.
I'll check the audio set up page on the TV tonight see if there is any adjustment available.
Thanks for your help.

Is the sound from the speakers out of syn with the screen (i.e. can you see the lips are out of sync). If not the just turn the TV speakers off (mute them) since why would you want the 2 sets of speakers working at the same time? This will get around the echo effect and as long as the lip sync is OK will work well. Anyone who uses an AV reciever will always have their TV speakers off otherwise it would sound terrible.

No problem with visible difference onscreen - lips are sync'd!
If I mute the TV speakers I get a big red speaker with a line thru it permanently on the screen, so not an option. I always do turn the sound down anyway, it's no big deal just wondered about the cause.

I think the cause is the slight delay between the 2 sources but also the difference in location. This will make the speakers a different distance from you and hence the same sound will reach you at different times. The times differences will be short but noticable. I used to have to do the same on my old CRT and have the volume set to zero since the mute function left an icon on.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom