Sound options

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
So I've just got my nice shiny new gaming PC and it looks like the old 5.1 surround system I've got is on its last legs and the right speaker seems to be knackered, what do people use these days for sound from their PC? I'm a bit confused to be honest, my motherboard has 3 connections (pink, green and blue) that can be configured as required but if I want 5.1 audio am I right in thinking I have to sacrifice the line in / mic inputs for that? The current speaker package I've got is a creative inspire 6100 , is it best just getting something similar and if so does anyone have any recommendations? I don't need anything particularly loud . Oh one other question, if I set the windows sound settings to use speakers via realtek audio does that mean I get no audio from my monitor via hdmi? Seems to be the case so it's an either / or is it , not both?

Cheers

GeForce Junky

I use a home cinema 5.1 system, so PC - HDMI - AV receiver - HDMI - second monitor.

Works well but you can only use it with a second/dummy monitor, because AV receivers can't handle freesync. If you aren't using freesync for your gaming screen, you should! HDMI cannot do sound only :-(

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Do you need to use speakers or can you use a headset?

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Do you need to use speakers or can you use a headset?

Well, I've got tinnitus so I'm kind of reluctant to use a headset as I assume it will make my tinnitus worse so I'd rather not if I can help it

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
I use a home cinema 5.1 system, so PC - HDMI - AV receiver - HDMI - second monitor.

Works well but you can only use it with a second/dummy monitor, because AV receivers can't handle freesync. If you aren't using freesync for your gaming screen, you should! HDMI cannot do sound only :-(

Yeah, unfortunately I don't think I'm going to get away with a) another AV receiver and speakers in the room where the PC is or b) the pc in the living room where the AV receiver / speakers / big TV are so I need a compromise really. I'll probably just pick up a cheap ish pc 5.1 speaker package along the same lines as the creative inspire 6100 , doesn't need to be the last word in audio fidelity 😂

next010

Distinguished Member
PCM 5.1 is windows default output and the most widely supported in software but it is not possible to send this over analogue 5.1 or digital optical 5.1 (only via HDMI).

Dolby/DTS requires that a game supports it or you have a sound card that can process PCM 5.1 into Dolby/DTS 5.1 in real time [check the control panel of sound chip not windows sound settings]

If your new gaming PC onboard audio chip has no real time Dolby/DTS encoder then your not going to always get 5.1 audio sent to your analogue or spdif 5.1 sound system. You may need a new sound card for the PC.

Have a look at Logitech Z906 as replacement for Creative or mini sound bar Razer Leviathan.

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
To be honest I'm not that bothered about 5.1, I can make do with a sub and 2 speakers really. I just want a cheap solution that gives me half decent audio for YouTube / games. Might just get this actually
Amazon product

messenger

What's your budget ?
I cant recommend RuarkAudio enough for a set of pc speakers, they sound great, but they may well be to expensive for you. You kinda get what you pay for in the audio world.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom