1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound on the Archos AV380 from sky+

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by monkeyleader, Jul 26, 2004.

1. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Hey all,

Got myself an archos av380 .. splendid system - I was giving it a good test over the weekend with music photos, video I had recorded myself, dvd rips and also stuff from my sky+ box ...

The picture quality and sound are really good, all apart from the sky+ box ... Ive basically got a scart cable plugged into the back of the sky box with the righ left audio going into a phono jack into the AV380 (Audio IN SPDIF socket)

The playback audio sounds very cracklie and indeed you have to keep the volume quite low or it sounds very distorred - bass etc has to be kept to a minium. Its not the headphones either as they are great on other footage and indeed I've had it plugged into a set of external speakers.

Thoughts ?

Nigel

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Perhaps I've got the wrong end of the stick but you are taking two analogue audio outputs and feeding them into a digital input?

3. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Sorry the late reply - the archos has one slot for audio in and of course the sky box has audio (right left) So yes Im taking the audio from the right.left and feeding it into the audio in. Is this the problem ?

Nigel

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I would expect so.
    I don't know much about the Archos but if I would have thought it would be expecting an coaxial digital input via the SPDIF socket not an analogue input. My guess would be taking the SKY+ optical digital output running it through an optical/coaxial converter and then feeding the resulting digital source into the Archos will solve the problem

Something like this should be useful.