1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sound on telewest cable

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by pat clancy, Jul 2, 2002.

1. pat clancy

pat clancy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    i have digital cable with telewest,the radio sounds terrible,i was wondering if they compress the sound,can anyone shed light on this,i dont even think its stereo,i can never get pro logic from the tv on digital when watching movies,analogue is fine though,so much for digital tv

2. Dangerous

Dangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Pat
    The sound on NTL cable (Digital) which I think is the same as Telewest is not stereo as for the radio mine sounds ok.
    Dave

3. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    The sound on my Telewest is fine - some channels are better than others but thats due to the output from the channels themselves.
    Your sound should definitely be in stereo tho.

You should get them to send an engineer out as it must be the way your digibox is setup in the service menu.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NTL Digital is very much Stereo......... If you ain;t getting it, your system isn't working right.

5. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes ntl digital is stereo run it through your vcr and stereo should light up (but not nicam) some one posted that it's only through scart but i get it through the phonos too.

6. Dangerous

Dangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pat
    Sorry about the duff info, I have checked through my vcr and it does show stereo but strangely the tv is not indicating stereo.I have to say it certainly is not the quality that can be had on terrestrial i.e nicam, it sounds severely compressed.

Dave
    PS Stranger thanks for the tip on checking for stereo.

7. pat clancy

pat clancy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    thanks for the replys,why no nicam stereo then,so i can forget about getting 5.1 with telewest,so do we agree that the sound is compressed,i wonder what bitrate they use,i believe the bbc use 180kbps on digital radio,i might be wrong on this. so the reason i cant get prologic is because telewest dont broadcast nicam stereo,is that right?

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Dolby Prologic can be carried on any stereo format, nicam (Terrestrial) or mpeg2(Digital cable/satellite).
    As long as the STB's audio output is sent to a ProLogic amp/TV via the scart cable or twin phonos AND the program has a ProLogic soundtrack then you'll get it.