Sound on Pioneer through HDMI?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by leamspaceman, Aug 15, 2004.

1. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,326
    If I connect a HDMI DVD player to the Pioneer PDP-434HDE via it's HDMI input, will I get the audio from the DVD through the TV speakers? I see from the Pioneer HDMI PDF spec file for this set that you have to connect a scart from the DVD to one of the Pioneer media box inputs to carry analogue audio. Yes, I know i will get audio from my AV amp but sometimes you just wanna switch on the TV and get sound through there without firing up the amp too.

Only a minor niggle I know but does anyone know?

Cheers.

2. Prodigal

Prodigal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    leamspaceman

My set up is:

Plasma=434HDG
    DVD Player=969avi (=868i in uk )
    AV amp=Ax5i

I routed these equipment up with minimal cable connection, I didn't expect any sound would come out from my TV speakers since I connected no audio signal from DVD palyer nor my AV amp into the tunner box. It suprised me one day while I switched off the AV amp, the sound from the DVD player immediately switched to teh TV speaker by itself, I tried few times to verify this. Strange though, I don't think there is any indication in the manual says there is any HDMI's 5.1 surround data being output from the DVD player or accepted by the TV, I doubt it whether the sound data actually going through HDMI or not, perhaps just from other 2 vga type cables which are connected from the tunner box to the display. However I think this is very neat as I don't have to turn on everything while watching movies at night.

I think this only works on Pioneer's set up, not sure about the other HDMI players.

3. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +482
    Yes you will and I can confirm it works.

The HDMI interface carries audio as well as video.
    From the 868 manual:

4. Prodigal

Prodigal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took the 434HDG manual out and found that I overlooked the HDMI audio part, too many pages in the manuals nowadays. :D

I think the player can detect the AV amp whether it is on/off via the i-link, so it can switch back the digital sound signal through the HDMI automatically, if I'm right, don't know whether this works with other brands' players and AV amps even the HDMI feature exists on those equipments.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    Hello all

I have to say I've never tried it and I've not got a DV-868AVi here today to try out - though I should have one on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Pioneer 04HDE and x68 kit (like pretty much everything else on the market at present) use First Generation HDMI 1.0 Transmitters and Receivers from Silicon Image.

See: http://www.siimage.com/products/sii9190.asp http://www.siimage.com/products/sii9993.asp

I've not 'seen' anything as yet with the Second Generation HDMI Transmitters and Receivers that are good for 7:1 Audio.

See:
    http://www.siimage.com/products/sii9030.asp
    http://www.siimage.com/products/sii9031.asp

Best regards

Joe

6. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,326
    Anyone have a definitive answer to this. It seems ridiculous that you have to waste a scart input just to pipe audio from the DVD to the screen. :suicide:

Cheers.

7. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +482
    Didn't you read my first post? :rolleyes:
    Yes, it does work with just an HDMI cable between DVD and plasma.

8. suzywong

suzywong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, just tried it. Normally I feed the audio signal from the DVD to the 562 via the optical link and the video signal from the DVD to the media box via HDMI. But I also have an analogue audio link from the media box to the 562.

So tonight I pulled the optical link from the DVD, leaving just the HDMI link between DVD and media box. So the audio goes from DVD to media box via HDMI and from media box to 562 via analogue.

Voila!

9. leamspaceman

leamspaceman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,326
    Cheers guys.

So HDMI does carry audio to the TV speakers. I'm pleased about that. Means I wont have to fire the amp up every time. Just wish I could get on and buy my Pioneer...but thats another story.