Sound on GC

J

jmjm

Hi

Can I get 5.1 from my GC - is there an optical audio out lead that I can plug into my setup? what is the digital av out socket on the back for?

Thanks

no to 5.1, no to optical and I think the digital AV out only serves a purpose on the NTSC cubes. The Pro Logic 2 from the cube is fantastic though.

I agree with James comments with the exception of the bit about NTCS.

My understanding (though I haven't done it myself) is that the digital out will provide component video from PAL GCs as well (but no sound)

I endorse the comment that the DPLII out is very good as well

You cannot get 5.1 from the Gamecube but you can get Pro Logic II from games that support it (Think 5.0 almost... Won't get technical here).

The Digital AV is a bit misleading. It should be called Digital V (no Audio). This is where you attatch the Component or VGA cable into the Gamecube - For NTSC GCs it will enable a progressive scan display. For PAL GCs it will enable an interlaced component display.

For Pro Logic II just hook up the white and red audio leads to your Pro Logic II capable reciever.

-= EDIT =-

The Digital AV isn't disabled... Its just not used to its full potential as it does not natively support Progressive Scan, so instead it offers an interlaced display.

However I believe that NTSC and PAL GCs are identical in terms of hardware soooo.... With a lil help from the Freeloader/Action Replay II hopefully it might be possible to enable Progressive Scan on a PAL Gamecube. Once the damn disk is released I'll help confirm this.

Originally posted by NeoBlade
The Digital AV isn't disabled... Its just not used to its full potential as it does not natively support Progressive Scan, so instead it offers an interlaced display.

presumably because PAL prog scan hadn't been officially finalised by the time cube was released over here. would be nice if freeloader allowed it to go prog scan and good to hear the digital out allows component out (never seen official cables for component, but hardly surprising).

Neoblade beat me to it ;). As discussed the PAL Cube can output Component using the Official Nintendo Component Video Cable via the Digital Video Output. This cable is only available in the US/Japan so that's why you haven't seen it over here James. Easily imported though :).

The Official Component cables are only available in Japan sadly... Groundy, myself and others have imported it from there. You can buy them already imported from US sites like www.tronixweb.com.

As for PAL prog scan you are correct but then the GC should still be capable of NTSC progressive scan IMO regardless of the law back then.

The reason for its ommision is because there are only a handful of people in Europe (in terms of percentage) that can take advantave of progressive scan... Hence the lack of Official Component cables in Europe.

Thats Nintendo's take on the situation and IMO thats just poor >_< I'm sure it wouldn't have cost anything to keep the same spec as the NTSC console but it seems that Nintendo are content with just modding the original console to support RGB natively. In all fairness its a good move to have RGB Scart but then so would the added option of NTSC Progressive scan...

Its the same with the Xbox for progressive scan - PAL Xbox's do not support it but once modded it can be converted to a true NTSC Xbox and voila.. You have NTSC Progressive scan.

lol Groundy, you just beat me to it as well <g> How's Metroid Prime going? I want to book the week off to play that game but I need cash >_<

Should be getting Metroid shortly - I've just secured a copy for £32 :). Can't wait as apparently it's amazing.

Ah nice one. I got mine from DVDboxoffice and its stunning. Just try not to play it like a traditional FPS and you'll be fine. Plenty of jumping, exploration and stunning graphics and audio via prog.scan and Pro Logic II ^_^ I was worried that it wouldn't be a true Metroid game and boy was I proved wrong! All I need now is Metroid Fusion to complete the collection.

Once you have the controls nailed it really is sweet. Sadly I've been away for a few days workign and that for Xmas so I can't play on it as much as I'd like to.. Same for Tekki. Anyways sorry for throwing the thread off topic again ^_^

"For Pro Logic II just hook up the white and red audio leads to your Pro Logic II capable reciever".

Thanks as always for your detailed replies - I am just about keeping up. However - where do I plug the white and red leads given that I don'y have an ext amp - just using the TVs audio (panpb50) - back of the telly or leave them loose - I thought my tv supported Pro Logic II or am I getting confused?

Your TV does not support Pro Logic II but you will get standard Dolby Surround. Look for L/R Audio Inputs on the back of the TV. It may have them or may only have audio outputs. What Video method are you using, i.e., Composite or RGB?

I'm using a GAME RGB/SCART into AV1/RGB but currently have "the other wires" hanging loose - the TV does have some audio input tho for AV1 and AV4 plus digital input (where I have the DVD optical cable plugged into)

Sorry for vagueness - the audio side of things is a bit beyond me.

I am going to replace the cable with the Nintendo RGB scart as I have been convinced that it is better after trying someone elses.

Thanks for your help

there's a thread in Gaming Hardware at the moment concerning the Nintendo RGB scart that concludes that it is the only one that does proper RGB no matter what the other manufacturers are claiming of their products, I have it and the quality is great.

Im glad Microsoft nailed the DD5.1 side of things for this current generation of gaming otherwise we would have been waiting until 2005/2006 to experience real-time 5.1 playing games infront of the TV. I particularly like the effect in Moto GP when you pass a rider that has fell off his bike and he's on his arse. If you just miss crashing into his floored bike a brilliant little "whoosh" passes you by. Im almost waiting for the breeze from it sometimes. :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom