Sound of Metal (Amazon) Movie Review & Comments

Excellent movie with the best sound design i have heard in a long time, rollover tenet you have no chance come oscar night.

Tenet had an awful sound stage but quite literally one of the best musical scores I have ever heard. I have listened to the entire Tenet OST as a standalone album many, many times. Its brilliant. Crazy to think that the movie got so much grief over its sound whilst its original score was fantastic.

9, not even remotely. was adequate, nothing more.

I lost 70% of my hearing in my left and 40% in my right while I was in the army.
Should be an interesting watch!

lol, so funny when people get huffy about other people's reviews.

post your address, i'll send you a box of hankies.

Tenet had an awful sound stage but quite literally one of the best musical scores I have ever heard. I have listened to the entire Tenet OST as a standalone album many, many times. Its brilliant. Crazy to think that the movie got so much grief over its sound whilst its original score was fantastic.
Got Tenet (4k disc) with my UB820 purchase last week. Not seen it yet, been looking forward to watching it for the first time when my new OLED TV arrives in the coming weeks.

I'm always one that likes to tune in to the musical score when watching movies.

thoroughly enjoyed this,excellent cast,very well acted and carried by riz ahmed, a refreshing change ,recommended

Watched it last night. Acting was spot on and enough pace in it to keep you interested. Great use of sound, or lack of it. Glad I read your review @Casimir Harlow , would more likely have passed on this one.

Unpopular opinion time.

I did not hate it. It was fine. I liked the way sound was used.

The whole of it felt like an elongated first act. There's just not much of a journey there for me. I think Ahmed gets too much credit for his performance too. It didn't stand out for me. It was just... Fine.

Everything about this film was just... Fine.

7/10 from me.

I thought it was great, but I had one major problem with it.

No medical professional tells Ruben that the implants aren't going to give him back his hearing they way he's used to it. He's pretty shocked when they get activated as it's not what he was expecting, when in reality, this would have been explained to him in great detail before agreeing to have the surgery

Unpopular opinion time.

The whole of it felt like an elongated first act. There's just not much of a journey there for me. I think Ahmed gets too much credit for his performance too. It didn't stand out for me. It was just... Fine.

7/10 from me.
Afraid I agree. I was really looking forward to this and the first half was great, the second not so much. Not one I’d watch again.

I'll join the unpopular side .. Found it a tad boring , likewise thought the first half was good and it just dragged a bit .. Riz was great in his role, Just think the film is a bit over rated imo ...

It looks an an original and well-made film, but am not so sure I'll be bothering with this one.

Seen my fair share of hard-hitting films like Requiem for a Dream and The Wrestler, and maybe it's a 2020/2021 thing but am not really in the mood at the moment. Last film I watched was Cool Runnings :D

I’m in the slightly disappointed gang. Riz of course was excellent but having an insight into deafness, medically what happened it this just wouldn’t have. 6.5/10

Unpopular opinion time.

7/10 from me.
I rated the same. Maybe I was expecting a little more after what everyone else was saying. I do like Riz as I thought he was really good in Nightcrawler, especially after I found out he was English (and was in Four Lions). I think he’s got a bright future ahead of him, but I don’t think it was an Oscar winning performance, nor an Oscar winning film in any way, even though it was very good.

Watched this last night. Great film. Beautiful ending. 8.5/10 for me.

Sorry for the Thread bump, but I watched this just now (via the BBC) and really enjoyed it.

The three leads were excellent and the sound design was extraordinary. I also felt it was a film about the journey rather than the destination, and it really captured the confusion and disorientation of what it must be like to lose your hearing.

And as a musician, it wasn't just his hearing that was affected; his entire identity and previous existence was upended. I did find myself thinking that he could never go back, and the film did foreshadow that somewhat when he saw his girlfriend performing without him.

As Rich said in 2021, the ending was perfect because changes in life can only happen when we accept them.

I have a profoundly deaf friend who started losing her hearing in her 30's. She now wears discreet hearing aids and describes herself as deaf, though she's never really talked about what it was like going through the process.

I tried them on once and can confirm that they are very strange in the way they emphasise certain frequencies, and that the sound design of the film really did mimic what you hear when you wear them, especially in noisy environments (she takes them out for gigs).

I'm now copying the film onto DVD for her (she's not bothered about trivialities like formats!) and it will be interesting to read what she thinks.

Last edited:
Sorry for the Thread bump, but I watched this just now (via the BBC) and really enjoyed it.

The three leads were excellent and the sound design was extraordinary. I also felt it was a film about the journey rather than the destination, and it really captured the confusion and disorientation of what it must be like to lose your hearing.

And as a musician, it wasn't just his hearing that was affected; his entire identity and previous existence was upended. I did find myself thinking that he could never go back, and the film did foreshadow that somewhat when he saw his girlfriend performing without him.

As Rich said in 2021, the ending was perfect because changes in life can only happen when we accept them.

I have a profoundly deaf friend who started losing her hearing in her 30's. She now wears discreet hearing aids and describes herself as deaf, though she's never really talked about what it was like going through the process.

I tried them on once and can confirm that they are very strange in the way they emphasise certain frequencies, and that the sound design of the film really did mimic what you hear when you wear them, especially in noisy environments (she takes them out for gigs).

I'm now copying the film onto DVD for her (she's not bothered about trivialities like formats!) and it will be interesting to read what she thinks.
Another movie with similar themes which also came out in the same year is the excellent CODA (ATV+)

Superbly made movie and well deserving of its Oscar nods.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom