Sound muting and breaking when TV changes scene?

mossmotorsport

Standard Member
Hi guys,

I have a Samsung 40" LED TV which has a Humax HD FOX T2 and a LG Surround Sound connected up. Sound comes out the TV through optical, straight into the surround sound. When content that I am watching on TV changes scene, the sound cuts out for around 2 seconds. This includes when different adverts come on too. Can anyone think what would be causing this?

Thanks

mossmotorsport

Standard Member
I should add that when selecting different options on the PS3 the sound also breaks up. When playing a blu-ray (as it's a blu-ray cinema system) the sound is perfect. If I turn the TV speaker up at the same time, the sound does NOT break up out of the TV's own speakers, but continues to break up out the surround sound.

mossmotorsport

Standard Member
Just connected the Humax HD FOX T2 up using optical out straight into the cinema system, not using the TV at all, and the sound still breaks up. Therefore, as the sound breaks up on the PS3 too, I'd have thought there is a problem with the cinema system?

themediaman

that is a pain, connecting all your devices direct to the systems is the way it should be done though................if you have a cinema system, the TV speakers are now redundant..........

try swapping optical cables around and ports ,maybe even try coaxial.....

it seems as though both devices are having the same problem which doesn't look good, hopefully some better suggestions come soon.....

mossmotorsport

Standard Member
The Surround Sound kit has an option to automatically prevent audio from altering in volume (i.e. loud scenes or shouting). Switching this OFF seems to have resolved the issue as far as I can tell..... Will keep an eye on it. From what I can tell there is no difference in the quality of optical cables (I'm using a cheap tesco cable, but digital is digital....)

mossmotorsport

Standard Member
Unfortunately this is not resolved :-( I bought an Xbox 360 yesterday, and when moving around different dashboard options on there, the sound also cuts out. It seems as though it cuts out even when there is a small break between sound. Any further ideas?

themediaman

So are you just experiencing this now with the xbox only........the Humax and PS3 are good.....?

Try fiddling with the xbox audio settings, to be honest, its seems as if there is something wrong, can you return it for another.......?

mossmotorsport

Standard Member
Hi Media Man, I've just been watching Southpark off a USB Memory Stick in the TV, and the audio was breaking up too on that when the scenes changed, or when different characters were talking. The HTK then breaks up for a second or two. It's just difficult working out whether the fault lies with a)Samsung LED TV (2 months old) b) LG surround sound (2 weeks old) or c) Cheap tesco optical cable (digital, so should be fine?). It's getting a bit frustrating now :-(

themediaman

well you said that even when connecting devices directly to the sound system (which is the way it should be done), the problem is still there. I would think its the sound system, take it back and get a new one..........

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom