Sound Muffling Projectors

N

Nexus6

Is there a safe way to sound muffle the projectors?? I am thinking of building say an MDF box to go around my chasis with enough room all round for cables etc. I am wondering if an enclosed box with ventilation holes drilled in it at the back where the projectors fan is will be sufficently air cooled too prevent meltdown. I saw one chap on the links page who was building a box to cut down the noise of his projector, made of perspex I believe.

Anyone tried this or no any links for more info.

Thanks

My System

Panasonic PT701e 1000 ansi (28db fan noise) in 800 ansi mode. £3100
Denon DVD 2800 £700
Denon 3201 Amp £500
M&K Speakers £1700
B&Q Blackout Blind for Screen. £60

The >$5000k PJ forum at avs is your best bet for info on this.

IMO, just building a "hushbox" with an opening for the exhaust/inlet fan(s) would not be good enough, as quite a lot of heat is lost through the chassis/case of a PJ. Some "forced" airflow would be required.

Have to chime in here.......

For goodness sake don't go putting your projector into a box with holes for intake and outlet - it will cook in the neat little oven you will have built it !!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

AFAIK, hush boxes should be designed to have their own inlet and/or outlet fans, temp. controlled by the temperature in the hush box itself. They are often vented out of the projection room through trunking/whatever.

I have no doubt that designing and making one is well within the capability of a competent diy'er, but do all the research you can - the > $5000 projector forum amd the Home Theater Builder Forum on avsforum.com is an excellent starting point. Sign up there and post your question - there are thousands of members signed on every day and they are just as willing to help as members here are - some of them just have more experience on average than we do. Mind you, I think their forum is excessively moderated - nothing as good fun as we have here ;) , eh, Kramer:D .

Good luck,

Sean G.

Nexus, think yourself lucky...I dream of 28db...currently got about 40dB :eek:

I recently tried replacing a couple of the fans but found when I replaced a 36dB with a 28db rated fan, the 28 was actually louder when fitted :(

So I'm interested in doing something like this too don't see that it'd be too difficult to build a box and put in a couple of silent 80mm PC case fans for extra ventilation (tho the extra PSU might be a pain in the arse!).

Goof,

Quote:

"Nexus, think yourself lucky...I dream of 28db..." LOL :D

"Eh Obediah, Who'd 'a thought, all them year ago, that we'd be sitting here, drinking Chateau de Chatelais........"

Shades of 4 Yorkshiremen..............

Couldn't resist !!

Sean G.

No, that's ok m8...I don't have the foggiest what you were just talking about anyway! :D

Hiya Goof,

Cryptic post was not intended............reference was to a Monty Python sketch.

Go here and let it download fully - its worth the wait !

See ya,

Sean G.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom