Sound mode question (what is PCM?)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dodocream, Jul 16, 2003.

1. dodocream

dodocream

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just got round to setting my home cinema system back up after sending my FS2-AV Speakers + Sub back to Mission because they were broken. I've reconnected all the wires etc. to the amplifier (a Marantz SR4200) and everything seems to be working ok.

Initially I couldn't get any sound at all from the subwoofer but trying again with a full reset of the amp / sub a couple of days late seems to solved that problem - for now at least. However, there is another: everytime I select a sound mode other that DD or DTS (say Prologic I / II) the amplifier plays this sound in PCM mode. I've no expert in this field, as you may have guessed, but isn't PCM some stereo mode or something - i.e. not one for a standard 5.1 setup? Why won't my amp go back to how it used to be - playing Prologic TV in the regular, non-PCM mode and does this affect the sound output in any way?

Thanks in advance for any help.

DDC

2. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PCM = Pulse Code Modulation

The old transfer method for CD.

Check your DVD digital out settings and make sure it says 'bitstream'.

Hope that helps.

3. dodocream

dodocream

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Two things:

1) The DVD player is a Pioneer DV-444 and I can't find anywhere in the setup menu where 'bitstream' is an option.
    2) The PCM problem mainly arises when watching TV through Sky +. Does this have a 'bitsteam' option somewhere? Again I couldn't find it.

4. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cant advise further. Sky Movies are 5.1, give those a whirl

5. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    There is an option in a Sky+ menu somewhere that lets you choose between "normal" and "dolby digital" for the digital sound output.

However, I'm not sure there is actually a problem, here. The output from a SKY+ box's digital output is in PCM format, unless it's a Dolby Digital film. And you want your amp to be using the PCM input, regardless of whether it is rendering it as plain stereo or via PLII. You definitely don't want the amp to be using an analogue input, otherwise you'll have a spurious A/D conversion.

6. dodocream

dodocream

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK if you say it's not a problem then fine, I believe you.

I only asked because when I had it all set up in the past, before the speakers blew, the amp was never in PCM mode for DPL 2 like it is now. I just found it strange that it had all changed now, though haven't exactly noticed any problems with the actual sound, so never mind!

Thanks for your help in any case.

7. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There you go agian Nic, he has nice normal reciever with a video recorder connected , most likely analog TV and other analog sources, why bother even mentioning 'spurious A/D conversion'?? Thats not going to help the guy in any way shape or form and just confuse the things further.:mad:

8. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    roversd1....perhaps rather than having a bash at Nicolas,if you have nothing useful to add,then don't post at all.

9. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was making a valid point .

What does spurious a/d conversion got to do with dodcream's question?

10. Mogli

Mogli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I know on my 656 its not called Bitstream but you can set it in the initial settings. I am sure it asks you if your Amp accepts upsampled 96khz sound? or something like that..

Let us know if that helps.

Hus

11. dodocream

dodocream

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't worry I figured it didn't matter to me anyway. ;)

Mogli - On the Audio 1 menu for the DV-444 I have the following options under the heading '96Khz PCM Out':

96kHz --> 48kHz
    96kHz

At the moment the former (96->48) is selected. Is this right?

12. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    I would run it at 96kHz,as doing the former results in your DVD player downsampling any higher resolutions.

13. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    Unless your amp is unable to understand 96 kHz signals - but then again, you quite possibly won't have any 96kHz recordings, so it may not make any difference anyway....

14. dodocream

dodocream

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to your earlier help it seemed everything was finally sorted. Ha - how wrong I was.

Remember when I said in my first post

"Initially I couldn't get any sound at all from the subwoofer but trying again with a full reset of the amp / sub a couple of days late seems to solved that problem - for now at least"

Well 'for now' how positively run out. I simply can't fathom why, but for whatever reason the subwoofer is no longer emitted any noise at all. Regardless of which sound mode it's on, DD, DTS, test tone or whatever, the useless big thing just stays permanently silent. I've tried the general reset as before - no luck. All the connections seem fine. I've even tried swapping the umbilical cord connection from the SR4200 to the active (FS2) sub with a standard phono <-> phono lead with no luck. The amp recognises the sub (set to YES) but still there's nothing whatsoever.

This is getting really infuriating. What makes it worse is everything was working the day before, at least in this respect. Anyone got ANY idea what might be going on?

Paraphrasing the song, it just seems everytime I take 1 step forward, I go 2 steps back...

:(
    :thumbsdow
    :rolleyes:

15. dodocream

dodocream

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0