1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound (lip synch) delays and plasmas

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by scarty16, Jul 11, 2003.

1. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I am thinking about getting a Plasma, don't know which one yet, but I have a quick question.

If I am using a plasma with an amp and not the internal speakers, should I have get an amp that allows for sound delays. Or does the lip synch probs I keep hearing about only occur if you do some sort of progressive scan processing.

2. GAmbrose

GAmbrose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I'm pretty sure it only occurs when you enable progressive scan.

Though i'm a plasma newbie anyway, so I might not be the best person to tell you :)

Gary A

3. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well the plasma is a progressive device anyway so there will be some delay. If you add further processing in the chain the delay may become more noticebale still.

A lot of this depends how sensitive you are to it (as it does with flicker issue on Panny 5 series). I myself am sensitive to lip sync & when I was looking at buying an Iscan Ultra found that it introduced too much of a delay for my tastes & I had to purchase an audio delay method.

I have a delay of about 60ms ffrom the Iscan to Plasma & my progressive scan DVD player to Plasma. That works for me.

4. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    okay, so it sounds as though I am correct, lip synch can be a problem.

So what do people use as the audio delay mechanism, do any types of amp eg: Denon, Tag etc have this sort of facility?

Si..

5. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Denon 3803 is probably about the cheapest amp that has this feature, it is quite a popular model. (More expensive Processors like Tag have it also)

I myself use a seperate audio delay device between the player & the amp (the device was more expensive than a 3803 amp (which wasn't available when I bought it) & I didn't want to change my amp for that 1 feature)

Try a demo the plasma with a setup as close to you are intending to have as possible & see how sensitive you are to it.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    scarty16

You can get a stand alone two channel stereo audio delay for around £135 + cables - the tricky bits getting something that will process a 5:1 signal; they do exist but cost a fair bit more than your average AV amplifier.

Though I must say that unless your adding in an external Progressive processor or video scaler I'd do without to begin with and then if you feel its necessary you can always add one in as required.

I dont think I've supplied a stand alone audio delay to anyone who's plugging interlaced video into any of the Panasonic or Pioneer plasma displays we've sold.

Best regards

Joe