1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound Levels

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by vonstahlhein, Apr 19, 2005.

1. vonstahlhein

vonstahlhein
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I posted earlier asking if anyone had experienced problems with a NAD t752 - DVD and Sat reproduction being significantly below that of CD, unfortunately no one could help. I contacted the shop where I purchased the NAD and told them the problems I have experienced. The shop said that differing sound levels could be expected between CD/dvd and all other sound sources. I have measured the difference and found that CD's replay at more than 16dbs higher than dvd and Sat, anybody any views on whether this is normal?

2. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep dont worry its normal for such differences.

3. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have no basis to form my opinion, but I would have thought 16dB would be on the high side.

Are you using a separate machine for CD and DVD? If you are I would try some tests by playing the same CD in the different players to eliminate some of the variable that may have been introduced.

4. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    The Dolby Digital is in my case always much lower than the two-channel audio, but that is not a problem of the player, it is the format recorded on the disc. If that is the case, 16 dB is reasonable. If the same audio cd played 16 dB lower on my dvd player than on my cd player, I would be worried and wouldn't consider that as normal.

5. vonstahlhein

vonstahlhein
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for this. The sound level of the CD is the same whether I play on a dedicated CD player (using analog connects) or through the DVD player digital coaxial connects so I would guess it is a thing with the CD format being a much louder source than sat/dvd/video.

The only thing that bothers me is that on my old Aego P5.1 system this problem never reared it's head and the sound levels seemed pretty constant.

6. vonstahlhein

vonstahlhein
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ps
    Especially interested to see that Cribeiro has the same effect with his amp, as I had my hand in my pocket to buy the 1905, until I saw the NAD on offer at my local shop and opted for the better musicality of the NAD.