1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound Level Meter...Quick question Please!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by martian1, Sep 28, 2002.

1. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    I purchased a SLM Today from Maplins, Quite shocked at how far out i had my speakers [Centre way to high!]. My Centre level has gone from +7 to -5.
    Could anyone advise on my setting up with this meter in case i have it all wrong.
    I used the test tones on amp [dont know if using test tones on THX set up features on a DVD disc is better?] Anyway set my amp to Zero db [goes from -75 to +15] and then went through each speaker adjusting levels till all at 75db...But my sub is the problem trying to set this at 75db is shacking my room to bits, i use the filter on sub [Rel 150] to cut down boomyness so setting this to max wouldnt work, i have it at about half way position.
    So my question is....What level do you set sub at? 60DB about right!!!

2. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Please do a search on this subject.

Meanwhile, Relatively low priced SPL meters are notoriously inaccurate at LF and there are all sorts of reasons why, so set the sub according to your ears.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Hi Martian from Sunderland.

I have also had problems setting sub levels with an SPL meter so don't bother any more. Once you have balanced the other speakers turn the sub up until you can just here it then turn it down a bit. You can probably turn it down a bit more after that as well. If you can hear the sub - it's set too loud

4. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Thanks for advice ... done a search, if i cannot find answer here i never will.

Cheers