Sound level differences

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by konghh, Jul 9, 2002.

1. konghh

konghh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Yamaha RX-V630 and DVD Sony DVP700V hooked up by optical and the Sony's 5.1 output. With the Yamaha's volume dial set constant, switching from optical to 5.1 source input gives rise huge sound level differences. Optical input gives a much higher sound level. Is that normal?

2. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Hi

Input sources can vary in volume level, presumably you´re using the External decoder input for the 5.1 analogue connection, could just be that it´s lower than the other inputs as its bypassing all processing and being passed straight through.

3. konghh

konghh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's what I thought but was wondering why it should be like that? If I forget and switches over to digital input from the 5.1 external decoder, it so loud as to give me a shock.

4. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Doublecheck, but some cd players have variable outputs for analogue & sometimes digital, its possible the dvd player has this as well tucked away in a menu (under output level or something similar). Most cd players have them on the remote or on the front panel though. If it does´nt then you´ll just have to remember to turn the volume down when you switch sources!! Or wear earmuffs!:D