1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound: left channel dead!?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by phasmax, Feb 1, 2005.

1. phasmax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Hey Folks,

Has anybody else ever encountered the issue/problem when their left-channel (or right-channel) of your soundcard just goes permanently mute? (I'm referring to analog out now - not digital). Since about a day ago, I had no problems, but then suddenly the left-channel of my soundcard just went dead - no sound comes out of it (mp3, wav, etc)

I have an ABIT motherboard NFS-7(soundstorm) - AMD athlon XP 2600, Windows XP professional SP2.

I've already switched speakers so I know they work, and uninstalled and reinstalled the nForce unified drivers (and audio drivers) to see if that'll solve the problem - no luck!

Apart from installing a new USB-UIRT, I haven't done anything to my HTPC for at least a month, so I don't know what caused this.

In my mind, it's 1 of 3 problems:
    1.) Driver screwup - reinstall Drivers (done that, no luck)
    2.) Some weird corruption in XP - reinstall (urgh!!)
    3.) The physical jack at the back of the motherboard is damaged - ie I'm screwed.

I'm hoping it's a driver-issue or something with XP. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!
    Thank you!