1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound lags behind display

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MrOctopusFace, Aug 26, 2004.

1. MrOctopusFace

MrOctopusFace
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The digital audio output from my Toshiba sd-231e is lagging behind the display on all my DVDs. It is connected to a Philips LX-700 Digital Home Cinema System via coax (I also tried it with an optical connector). I would use this as an excuse to replace the DVD player with a writer but that is no good if it is the external receiver that is to blame and I tried a friend's Samsung on with my speakers and that had the same problem.

There are no lip sync issues when I run the sound throught the TV and if I put the TV volume up AND put my surround sound speakers up atthe same time they echo. Is this normal? Does anyone know what I need to replace?

2. Audioguy

Audioguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the sound is really lagging behind the amplifier must be at fault. It seems to limit itself to the digital audio input so it is probably the Dolby Digital decoder or DSP section that is delaying the signal too much.

Can you borrow another amplifier and try the digital input on that one?

Otherwise it is not unusual that the sound is ahead of the picture especially with big screens and projectors. That's why most advanced A/V amps have audio delay in order to lip sync the sound to the picture.

3. MrOctopusFace

MrOctopusFace
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rather annoyingly I can't find anyone else who has a Digital decoder. I am tempted to buy a new one from ARgos and return it if it doesn't help.

Can anyone tell me if it usual to hear an echo if you listen to Dolby 5.1 through the TV and the Amp at the same time? I wonder if it is a "feature" of digital audio decoding or just that my amp is slow because it is cheap.

4. sk4nky

sk4nky
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i get an echo if the tv sound is left on.

5. techSi

techSi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I hear an 'echo' if the TV volume is left up at the same time as my Home Theatre System. (pioneer dvd, sony HTS). It is caused by the extra processing (uncompressing) of the audio information on the DVD. However, it should not cause problems with lip sync to a degree that it is very noticeable.
    Bear in mind that some DVD players perform the decoding of the audio signal and output this to a speaker system. Check its not your DVD player too.
    techSi.