Sound Lag

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Hal Michaels, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Hal Michaels

Hal Michaels
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help, I bought a new TV just before Xmas - a Panasonic Viera TX-L55ET60B. The picture is great but now theres a sound lag between my Home Cinema system and the picture on screen. So, if I'm trying to watch a DVD its like watching an old Kung Fu film that has been badly dubbed. I've bought new audio-visual cables but theres no improvement. I get the same problem if I try to watch the TV via Sky with the sound channeled through the Home Cinema system.Theres a delay. If I keep the TV sound on as well its like there is an echo.
    My Home Cinema system is a SonyDAV-S300. I've had it for about 10 years and the sound quality is still great but at the moment I can't use it!
    I've tried everything I can think of. Have I plugged the right cables into the right ports? Are the TV and system just incompatible? Would appreciate any help. I've been in touch with Panasonic.They say its the Home Cinema system and there are no settings on the TV to rectify it. Sony said it was my audio/video connection - which I've now replaced.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,524
    TV's tend to take longer to process a video signal than AV Amps take to process an Audio signal - the majority of AV Amps will now include a Digital Audio Delay facility to cater for this phenomenon.

With no Digital Audio Delay adjustment on offer within your DAV system you have a bit of a conundrum!
    SKY – connect it via HDMI to the TV and in turn the TV Optical Out to the Optical Input on the DAV unit, that should keep the SKY audio in sync with the TV.

SKY – if you currently have that connected via Optical to the DAV unit remove that connection.

DVD – this is the killer as your DAV won’t allow you to ‘listen’ to the Optical Input when playing back a DVD. Time to Invest in a stand-alone BD player or if you have one fire up the PS3 and use that for DVD and BD Playback, again connect it via HDMI to the TV and ‘listen’ to the audio via the Optical Out on the TV.

Joe

PS Never good to have the TV Speakers plus Surround Speakers on at the same time - even where they 'seem' to be in Sync, the TV speakers are going to 'muddy' the sound.