Sound juddering when capturing MiniDV to PC

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Knarky, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Knarky

Knarky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've recently started editing and burning some home vids, but the sound when transferring to PC is juddering unless I run each clip and capture them individually, rather than leaving a whole tape to run with capture.

Any idea what this might be?

Spec

1000mhz, 256 RAM, Firewire link, Sony TRV-33, editing on Ulead Video Studio 7.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Knarky

2. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +624
    I get exactly the same problem with Ulead movie factory and the following hardware

1.7GHz, 1024Mb RAM. Firewire, Sony TRV9.

I'm not sure if it is the CPU speed or the disk write speed.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Video capture on a PC takes up a lot of resources and therefore you need to give the PC all the help you can. Both the PC specs listed above are good enough though so you may want to try the following:

Disable all background programs such as antivirus and screen & power save modes. To stop all the background progs I use a free download called EndItAll that works great and does exactly what it say on the tin!

Make sure you have DMA enabled on your HDD's

If possible capture to a dedicated HDD with no programs installed on it.

Make sure your CD/DVD drives are on a separate IDE channel the the HDD(s)

Defrag the HDD frequently and make sure there is plenty of spare space. Video takes 13Gb approx for every hour you capture. You then need a lot more for editing and file conversion etc.

Knarky - you really should upgrade the RAM to at least 512Mb as it will make your life a lot easier.

garydhooper - I edit on a P4 1.8Ghz CPU and have none of your problems. The CPU for both PC's is plenty fast enough (faster, as always would be better). Also any modern HDD should be good enough for capture - ATA-100 or better is all that is needed and all PC's of P3 or better will be at least to that.

HTH,
    Mark.