1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound Issues

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by pcpaz, Jan 4, 2003.

1. pcpaz

pcpaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm on the last stage of my HCPC project, Sound!

At present I am using the onboard Advance AC97 Audio on my ASUS A7V8X m/board. I know that onboard is usually inferrior to separate soundcard. This is where I need your help.

My intention is to feed to the sound through 5M OFC twin RCA cable to an amp (still deciding on amp) and finally through a pair of floorstanding speakers.

I am a newbie to sound, so if I get a soundcard capable of carrying DTS and Dolby Digital would this mean that I would need an amp that could do the same.

Please help.

2. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    There are two ways of using multi channel sound such as DD or DTS, you can either decode it within the PC using suitable software and multi-channel soundcard, for that you would need a multi-channel amplifier with enough analogue inputs (usually 6 channels).

Alternatively you could pass the un-decoded signal to an amplifier which can take this signal and decode it by itself. This would require a soundcard with SP/DIF output, and a multi-channel amplifier with SP/DIF input and the apporpriate decoders built in.

You can use DTS and DD with only two channels as the leftovers are mixed into the two channels, but it's not the same :)