Sound Issues HDMI ARC OLED C8

Djuganight

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have my TV connect by HDMI ARC to my Pioneer receiver and I have sound issues running Netflix and other apps, that output in Dolby Digital Plux (DD+).

If I connect the TV to the receiver with an Audio Optical Cable, I have no issues and everything runs great. The apps and movies where I found the issue are showing on my receiver as being in DD+.

On the TV, the HDMI ARC option, only allow to choose either PCM or AUTOMATIC and the sound issue only happens when it’s set to AUTOMATIC, so I have to constantly change between PCM and AUTO.

I have been exchanging emails and videos with LG and they already sent the "technicians" to my home on past week which were able confirm the situation, but could not provide any solution and told me the only thing they could do is report back to LG confirming the issues reported by the client.

Below is one of the videos sent to LG (in Portuguese language) but you are able to hear the issue on minute 1:12

Any ideas of what could be the cause?

Tanx

ARC is a subset of HDMI CEC.

HDMI CEC is an optional and unregulated part of the HDMI specification.

All the manufacturers involved in creating HDMI voted for it to be this way because they wanted to use their own CEC command sets in order to attempt brand lock in.

Manufacturers are free to use their own version of CEC and many do, LG use simplink, panasonic use vieralink, sony use bravialink and so on.

None of them a guaranteed to be interoperable and problems such as this are rife.
As long as its unregulated like this, these problems will not go away and the only surefire solution is to not use ARC , use an optical cable instead.

Ok, that may very well be the fact, but I cannot accept it.
Although each brand has it's own name and whatever for this connections, they all follow some sort of standard otherwise it would be compatibility issues after compatibility issues and brands would be drowned with user complaints due to device incompatibilities.
I find that to be an excuse for something that should work flawless, regardless the name each brand decides to call.
BTW, my Pioneer says that is compatible with HDMI ARC, Simplelink, CEC, etc etc etc so that does not apply here!

The TV also does not have a bloody option to force a specific audio format. It is either PCM or AUTO and if AUTO is chosen why it does not revert back to PCM or any other compatible format? understand what I mean?

The problem here is something else and 99% sure it is related to the TV firmware.

I must say that It worked flawless with previous TV's, Philips and my Samsung.

Audio cable not only is redundant if I have HDMI ARC option, also does not allow volume control with the TV remote. Please do not recommend a Harmony universal remote etc etc.

This is just adding shortcuts and workarounds to something that is wrong and issues that should not exist in first place.

Does anyone have a similar setup and is being able to passthrough DD+ audio format over HDMI ARC, For example using the TV Netflix app?

Ok, that may very well be the fact, but I cannot accept it.
Although each brand has it's own name and whatever for this connections, they all follow some sort of standard otherwise it would be compatibility issues after compatibility issues and brands would be drowned with user complaints due to device incompatibilities.

I work with HDMI.
ARC is a nightmare , always has been.
As said , it's not regulated and manufacturers can do what they please.

Compatibility issues are rife, complaints are endless, type ARC into the searchbar here and see how many issues there are.

Get two pieces of gear that have issues and contact the manufacturers and both will offload the issue to the other, usually whilst mentioning their own brand units have no problems.
They made this mess on purpose, for profit.

There is no doubt the issue is in the firmware, thats how CEC is implemented. The question is whether it is there deliberately or by accident, and whether the manufacturer will do anything about it.

Ask any custom installer , they will tell you, avoid ARC as much as possible, it will give trouble at some point.

Thank you.
I'm so upset with this.
A person should not be worried with such situations especially after paying 2200euros for something like a TV.
I now have found another error which has nothing to do with the subject, but the fact remains. In the Picture Option I have "Contraste Dinâmico" twice. When I change the TV language to English UK, the options are Dinamic Contrast and Dinamic Tone Maping....
All this added to other issues related with apps on webos, I think this tv has some serious firmware issues.
I always said that webos was the worst smart tv OS comparing with Tyzen and Android. I'm finding the hard way that I was absolutely right.

Finally come to a solution after so many trials and errors.

Cutting the long story short, what I have done was:
- My TV is connected to the AV Receiver by HDMI ARC.
- I have kept this connection but also connected a Optical Audio Cable.
In the TV sound settings I keft it set to HDMI ARC but on the AV Receiver I change the HDMI Setup to:
HDMI CTRL: ON
HDMI ARC: OFF

This ways the receiver allows me to change the ARC Sound from the TV input from HDMI to Optical (or other), which otherwise was set to HDMI by defaut.
Now the sound goes to the receiver by Optical Audio Cable but works as if was HDMI ARC, e.g., receiver turn on/ff with tv and control the volume with TV remote.
The only downside is that adds a unnecessary cable to the setup, but better like this as it was before.

How do I come up with this solution is one of those things.
I found a error on Picture Settings. I have Dynamic Contrast twice instead of Dynamic Contrast and Dynamic Tone Mapping. This error is just in the Portuguese language.

When I spoke on the phone with the LG technician he was telling me to choose the option Optical/HDMI ARC but the C8 has this 2 options separated.
On the searches I did online I did see many people mentioning this Optical/HDMI Arc option.

Since the beginning I believe that HDMI ARC is not working properly due to firmware issues, so I but 2 and 2 together and come up with this solution.
This is in fact a firmware issue because on previous models, the TV was sending the sound simultaneously through Optical and HDMI ARC and apparently in the new models they have made this as 2 different sound options in the menus but not at firmware level.

Problem solved and now I will wait LG to pay me for my work eheheheh J
I have the TV for less than 2 weeks and already come up with several firmware bugs

Still no solution to fix the HDMI ARC

With HDMI 2.1 eARC is coming.
This removes ARC from the HDMI CEC subset and makes it standard so should stop all compatibility issues relating to ARC.

Some pieces of equipment may get eARC with an update, but you would need both screen and receiver to have the update for it to work.
Otherwise you need to buy new 2.1 equipment.

I hope the C8 gets the eArc update as for the price it costed me I'm planning to keep it for a few good and long years.
I planning to replace my Pioneer receiver though and knowing that, I will now wait for receivers with eArc compatibility.
You know when is this for?

Earc will probably show up early next year.

Updates on 2.0 gear will only happen if there is enough bandwidth to spare, bandwidth is currently at max utilisation on 2.0 chipsets so very few will be able to update.
Those that do may have to compromise on some other features to squeeze it in.

Dont hold your breadth waiting.

I had 4 B7's and 3 B8's...on netlfix the issue came up on everyone despite the model or firmware so kept it on PCM and it's never returned. The only way I solved it was if you start a film or programme on netflix and there isn't sound, rewind in 10 sec intervals and play...usually comes back on with 3 or 4 rewinds.

I had 4 B7's and 3 B8's...on netlfix the issue came up on everyone despite the model or firmware so kept it on PCM and it's never returned. The only way I solved it was if you start a film or programme on netflix and there isn't sound, rewind in 10 sec intervals and play...usually comes back on with 3 or 4 rewinds.
That way you won't get the proper audio formats and you will always be limited.
If you use the Optical cable you go around the situation.

You should report back to LG. As many report, more chances we have to get it fixed ;)

That way you won't get the proper audio formats and you will always be limited.
If you use the Optical cable you go around the situation.

You should report back to LG. As many report, more chances we have to get it fixed ;)

I know mate but I'm kinda past caring now, these little things can cause far too much stress than what they're worth when speaking to certain reps.

Personally playing around with it, PCM is a little louder and clearer for me. I might be missing certain nuances using Dolby but I can live with it.

Yes, when we care about things and take them in to much consideration, they can end up being stressful, even the minor details, so I perfectly understand you.

Nevertheless I have the opinion that we should always report things, even though after reporting them we ignore and forget about the outcome.

Because we Andy1249 mentioned eArc, I was reading the latest news on flatpanelshd and come across this:
HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel) and eARC explained - FlatpanelsHD

Yes, when we care about things and take them in to much consideration, they can end up being stressful, even the minor details, so I perfectly understand you.

Nevertheless I have the opinion that we should always report things, even though after reporting them we ignore and forget about the outcome.

Because we Andy1249 mentioned eArc, I was reading the latest news on flatpanelshd and come across this:
HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel) and eARC explained - FlatpanelsHD

Giving the article a quick scan I guess the problem is this extension called "common code" that probably doesn't exist in my cheap yamaha receiver....or something else.

I can't get Arc working with DD to my Denon Receiver either. Optical seems the only work around too, but now I can't use the remote to control the volume.
There was another thread about this last year specifically mentioning a Denon.

I'm able to control the volume with ARC/Optical. My amp is a Pioneer.
Have you tried the above settings both on the TV and Amp?

Don't think there is option to turn off arc within the amp. Only hdmi control.

Managed to get at least volume control via the lg remote by using ''decice connector' and enabling a kind of smart remote control.

I'm in the same boat as you are.
LG TV and Pioneer AVR. I didn't have the issue when I got the TV. I think that one of the firmware upgrades messed up things. I started using optical cable, as well, but the issue is that after 40 or so minutes the avr switches back to HDMI audio from the optical. That freaks me out, mostly when I have the volume turned up. Only we know how annoying that sound is.

Have the same problem with 65C6V and Onkyo receiver. About year and a half ARC worked perfect till summer of 2018. Then with the same configuration (no new devices) it's begun. The sound from tv via HDMI dissapeared and appeared with no define reason. Sometimes I thought i knew how to get it fixed (different manipulation with turning on and off different options on TV and receiever) - it worked for some time, maybe several days and then boom - the same shit again. I even bought the most certified HDMI cabel with all the super-duper labels. And it even worked! For several days. And then again...
So I surrendered and switched like many of you to optical cabel. The main downside is to use two RC to turn on and off the whole system. Also bandwith of the opt cabel is not enough for DTS sound. Need to use PC to play files with DTS sound.
Sad...

I have exactly the same issue with my LG C7 and LG HLX56S soundbar. Worked fine with ARC and now the sounds cuts out for a second or two at a time. I have tried new cables, different cables, different settings (PCM, auto, etc) and still no go. Now it also automatically selects optical randomly!

I can't get Arc working with DD to my Denon Receiver either. Optical seems the only work around too, but now I can't use the remote to control the volume.
There was another thread about this last year specifically mentioning a Denon.

Arc works fine DD+ and Atmos on my 65B8 to Denon X4300h using Amazon Ibra HDMI lead.

Not had a single issue

Arc works fine DD+ and Atmos on my 65B8 to Denon X4300h using Amazon Ibra HDMI lead.

Not had a single issue
Would you mind sharing your settings pls as I had my E8 connected via ARC to my 4300, which worked for a while but now it keeps switching on the amp just when watching TV which I don’t want. I did not change any settings but have tried all the settings but none seem to work so I can watch TV normally and then Netflix with Atmos via the Denon. I have resorted to using my Panasonic 820 to watch netflix now with Atmos. I really don’t want to connect an optical cable as this will not pass though Atmos.

Unfortunately for too many years HDMI cable manufacturers and suppliers have been able to get away with stating any old technical rubbish about their products. And been able to get away with charging huge prices for the privilege. Essentially... Price does not denote quality!

For people not doing so already, it's highly recommended that you use nothing but Premium certified HDMI leads, especially between devices that support HDR (High Dynamic Range) video and pass HDMI ARC.

All genuine 'Premium Certified' products display a hologram on (their advertising and on) their packaging (see below) to prevent counterfeiting, which can be scanned to confirm that they are a genuine product.

ccpLabel.png

For more information why your HDMI leads need to be 'Premium' certified look here: HDMI :: Premium HDMI Cable Certification Program :: FAQs

And given that genuine Premium certified HDMI leads are not expensive, it's pointless taking a risk and buying anything else.

See below for some examples: -
capture-png.959815

pcsl-hdmi-leads-png.1002280

Also... It may be worth noting that if you have an AVR (Audio Video Receiver) or HDMI switch-gear/splitters in your connection chain, it's advisable to check that such products support features such as: 4K UHD at up-to 60Hz with BT.2020 colour space along with all current forms of HDR.

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom