Sound Issue

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by chrisp, Jan 6, 2002.

1. chrisp

chrisp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Technics SA-AX6 Home Cinema Receiver (purchased as the AX6 pack with SB-LV500, SB-S500, SB-W500 and SB-C500 speakers) to provide Dolby Pro Logic Surround Sound when selected (no video inputs are used). AV2 out on the TV is set to "Monitor" and connected through a 2 way Scart Adaptor which gives 2 channel phono to the TV input of the SA-AX6 (the video output is not used) and provides Dolby Pro Logic Surround Sound via the SA-AX6 (when selected) for the TV, VCR and Sky. This setup works fine.

The amplifier has DVD/DVD 6CH inputs for either 2 channel output (DVD Input Selected) or 6 channel discrete output(DVD 6CH Input Selected).

I have recently acquired a Cyberhome AD-L528 DVD player (I only wanted a basic DVD player) and wish to connect that into the system. The DVD player has a Dolby Digital 5.1 channel decoder and DTS Digital decoder. It has 6 Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio Output terminals plus two channel stereo output terminals.

Using the 2 channel audio output from the DVD works fine with the amplifier.

To try and test the system I connected the SubWoofer and Center speaker outputs from the DVD (using a pair of test cables which I have checked as ok) to their respective inputs on the amplifier but when I select DVD 6CH on the amplifier I get no sound at all.

If I connect a passive speaker direct to the DVD Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio Center output and set the player to 5.1 I can hear the dialogue so it looks as if the DVD player is ok.

I have never used the DVD 6CH option on the amplifier so it's possible it's faulty. I was thinking of switching one channel of the TV input (which I know works) to the DVD 6CH Center input to see if I get any sound when DVD 6CH is selected. If that works then I was going to test each input in turn. Would this work?

Is anyone using the SA-AX6 or can offer any help on how I can check if the DVD 6CH option on the amplifier is working if the above suggestion wouldn't work.

:confused: