Question Sound issue with AVR-s910

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by JBURD3, Apr 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. JBURD3

JBURD3
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So i just recently bought a Denon AVR-S910 and im slowly trying to build my audio equipment up. I just received the unit a few days ago. I don't YET have speakers hooked up (thats my next purchase). However i have my samsung uhd tv from the tv's HDMI (ARC) hooked up to the the receiver's HDMI (ARC) port. Eventhough i dont have surround sound speakers yet i figure i would go ahead and hook it up that way since i was getting speakers and I have a harmony elite remote and i wouldnt have to reprogram an activity. Anyway, when my receiver is on, the volume is significantly lower then when the receiver is off and im just using the passthrough. Is that normal? I've only noticed it when watching cable. I haven't noticed it when watching the fire tv.

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,360
    If you've no speakers connected then the receiver is playing no part in either amplifying or processing the audio you can hear. The audio you are hearing is eminating from the TV and only the TV is handling it.

3. JBURD3

JBURD3
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which makes sense but what would contribute to the sound difference? Before i got the receiver and even when the receiver is off, I typically keep the volume at 16-20. When it is on, I got to turn it up to somewhere in the 30s just to hear anything audible

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,360
    If passing the audio through the receiver via the receiver's HDMI output then the output from the receiver to your TV is probably connected to a different HDMI input on the TV than that to which you had your sources connected to prior to having the receiver? It could simply be a case of you configuring the sound settings on the TV differently for that particular input. Each input usually allows you to have its own independent audio and video settings?

Other than this, I've no idea. I'd not worry about it though and wait until you've speakers before configuring the receiver. There are no settings on the receiver than can or will alter the level of signals passing through it to your TV via HDMI. In fact, if you set the receiver to passthrough audio via HDMI then the receiver plays no part in the processing of that audio what so ever.

5. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,069
    I can't comment on various sound levels on different equipment in another country suffice it to say that different broadcasters vary here in the UK. For example my TV has terrestrial HD built in, known as Freeview. Subscription channels are provided by Sky. My Sky set top box is connected directly to the TV via HDMI, I do not pass that signal through the receiver, I prefer to use optical.

If I watch the BBC HD channels on terrestrial then the TV audio is comfortable at 30, however with the same channel on Sky the audio has to be turned up to 40. Some channels on Sky have to be turned up even higher. I dare say what you are experiencing is the same and nothing to do with the receiver, which as Dante has pointed out, is doing nothing to the audio signal in pass through.