Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sound isolation in a terraced house

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by dmurfet, Feb 18, 2005.

1. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having just got my new subwoofer, I decided to ask my neighbour round to try and work out how loud I can push it without annoying her.

My house is end of terrace an the sub is sited on the end of terrace wall (which is cavity insulated).

I am having my loft converted, and I was surprised to hear from the builder that the joining wall between me and neighbour is two rows of breeze blocks and thin air.

Suffice to say I cranked it up (indictated as 0db on my amp but no idea what that means to be honest especially since the subwoofer has it it's own gain anyway!) and went next door to hear "the damage".

Whilst all the doors in my listening room where resonating and banging around to the first battle scene to Gladiator, next door it was quiet as a mouse, with the odd lump barely noticeable.

Question the first - how can this be?
    Question the second - any recommendations for shutting up my cupboard doors - little rubber stoppers perhaps?
    Question the third - anyone want to buy my sonically inert house? :thumbsup:

Thanks

David

2. lnewey6

lnewey6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    how can it be that good i live in an council house 50 years old and my neighbours are always moaning

3. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My builders tell me having the air gap between the cement blocks acts as a buffer (it's a big buffer since it is 4 storeys high) - I honestly don't know how it can be as good as it is.....

4. lnewey6

lnewey6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    lucky you mate thats all i can say they usally tell you new houses are crap for letting sound through i have soundproofed my room they say they can hear me put they never let me go round doing the celing next then the neighbours can go and f... themselves what kind of equipment do you have

5. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes - I was worried about it, which is why the neighbour got invited round....

the dangerous bit is a sonus faber gravis - mid range does tend to penetrate very far....

6. Wannabe-THX

Wannabe-THX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I can hear the neighbours kids kicking and screaming most nights around 10-11pm even during school weeks and they are only 5-8 years old. So I dont really care what they say!

Fish