Sound is not surround

penno118

Standard Member
I have a Panasonic SA-pt850 home cinema system which is connected to my Samsung HD TV via a bog standard audio lead (white and red). Problem i have is that when watching TV the sound is not surround, all the same noise comes from all 5 speakers at the same time. Is this because of the lead i am using?
Will getting an optical lead from the cinema system to the TV do the trick?

Thanks in advance

Hawklord

Hi, You've probably got the system set to 5 channel stereo instead of prologic;) Not sure the tv will allow an optical connection to your amp.

TEKNICOLOURFOX

also, connecting digitally (coax or tos link) between tv and system wont give surround sound, not many (if any) programmes are broadcast with surround sound

penno118

Standard Member
Not sure if my audio lead is buggered, when i unplug the white lead it makes no difference, lose no sound just stays the same, all coming out of 5 speakers. Is that normal?

Broadz

Distinguished Member
Not sure if my audio lead is buggered, when i unplug the white lead it makes no difference, lose no sound just stays the same, all coming out of 5 speakers. Is that normal?

You stereo system is set to play back exactly what it receives as input to all five speakers. So whether you had stereo, mono or any other kind of input is irrelevant. What you need to do is find out how to set the audio out to something other than mono.

so how can a stereo connection (2 channels) give true surround sound?

it can't. it can play the 2 channel (stereo) sound out of more than 1 pair of stereo speakers, but it isn't whats normally classed as surround

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom