Sound is distorted on Reloop RP1000M

lazzareo

Standard Member
I am hoping you can help me. I am a bit of a novice when it comes to building systems but after lots of advice on these forums I opted for the following.

• Denon DM40 Microsystem
  • Reloop RP1000M Turntable
  • Wharfdale Diamond 9.1 speakers
  • Project Phono Box MM Pre Amp

The sound is phenomenal on everything but the turntable which I must say sounds distorted when I play vinyl. I am beginning to wish I'd just bought an Amp instead of Microsystem and Pre Amp but I don't really know what I am doing

Can anyone explain to me why the sound is not so good on the turntable? Could it be faulty? Could it be the Pre Amp?

Thanks in advance as experience is not so good right now.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
The turntable likely has a Phono Equalization Pre-Amp built in, typically simply called a Phono Pre-Amp. If it has that, then it must be plugged into a standard Line Level Inpus (CD, TAPE, AUX, and similar). It can NOT, in this case be plugged into the PHONO input on the amp. Though the amp probably doesn't have one.

If the Amp does have a PHONO input, then you must disable the Phono Stage on the Turntable.

You can only have one and only one Phono Stage, and at the same time, you MUST have one and only one Phono Stage somewhere. Either in the Turntable, in the Amp, or as a separate unit.

Next, you must verify the tracking weight of the Cartridge. Typically in the range of 1.5g to 2grams. You should be able to look up the specs on the cartridge you have.

Then you must set the Anti-Skate, which on that turntable is a small dial next to the tonearm pivot point.

Tracking too heavy or too light can distort the sound. If it is too light, it will barely touch the groove and will not track very well. If it is set too heavy, then it can smash the Cartridge body right down on to the album, also not good for sound. There is a narrow window of weight in which Cartridge/Stylus will track correctly.

And you must make sure you have not damaged the Cartridge Stylus (the needle). Make sure the gemstone Stylus is not chipped, and make sure the little arm that holds the Gemstone Stylus has not be bent or kinked.

This is not a great turntable, but it should perform reasonably well and should certainly not be distorted.

Steve/bluewizard

lazzareo

Standard Member
Next, you must verify the tracking weight of the Cartridge. Typically in the range of 1.5g to 2grams. You should be able to look up the specs on the cartridge you have.

Lifesaver!!! It was the tracking weight! Thanks so much as still learning :)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom