1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound Insulation - an entire room

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Dimmy, May 28, 2003.

1. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to sound insulate an entire room as effectively as possible. i'll be using it for home cinema and am looking for a well-priced way of not driving neighbours crazy.

I don't REALLY know where to start - so can anybody point me in the right direction?

I'd be most thankful

2. Gojira

Gojira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do a search on soundproofing. There are tons of threads on the subject.

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    A cheapish method that works well:

By far the best way is to build a room within a room. You fill the floor with soundproofing material such as Wickes supply (30mm high density slabs IIRC) then build a floor on top of that using 4x2 or 6x2. Then build false walls using 4x2 at 600mm centres, and an inch away from the existing walls. Nothing should touch the room it's being built in so that sound transfer via touching walls can't occur, or is limited.

Fill with 4ins of rockwool insulation (slabs work well), then cover with two layers of plasterboard. Before actualy doing that though, you fit a new ceiling on top with 4x2 and fill with insulation. Finish with two layers of plasterboard there too.

Seal all edges gaps etc with high modular silicon rubber or similar. Where air can go, so can sound, so this can help. Ventilation may now be another issue of course..

Doors are a major sound leak as well, so use the search for a remedy that suits your situation, but a high density door such as a solid wood external door would be a good idea, and you need to ensure you can have it close and seal well. Two doors will be better still.

A cheaper version will be to just do the walls with the 4x2/insulation/2 layers of plasterboard, but of course this won't work as well as the completely isolated room. Bass vibrates anything it touches, so is very difficult to totaly isolate.

HTH

Gary.

4. voodooflux

voodooflux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    The timing of this thread is spot on, as I'm just putting the floor down in my garage :clap:

You've just cleared up something for me Gary - according to the Building Regulations guidelines I have my floor should consist of a Damp Proof Membrane upon the existing concrete base, onto which I put "rigid insulation", then my timber batterns.

I was confused by the whole "rigid insulation" thing (as were my local builders merchants, surprisingly) until I saw your post, then I went and checked out the Wickes 30mm dense slabs that state that chipboard can be laid directly on top (not sure how you would secure it though).

However, I plan to build a "floating" (i.e. not touching the walls) timber frame using 4x2, onto which I will slap my chipboard flooring, so I was wondering whether this frame would be too heavy to sit directly upon the 30mm slabs, or am I missing something? :confused:

Cheers
    v.f.

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I thought the same thing to be honest, but if you look at the packaging of the 30mm high density slabs, it should tell you the correct application.

Maybe you have to use some plywood to spread the load of the 4x2 framework, and then fit your flooring onto that.

I saw an extension being built, and they laid what looked like thick polystyrene on the membrane before carrying on, so maybe that's an option too.

Gary.

6. voodooflux

voodooflux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yeah, I'd thought about laying boarding on top of the dense slabs to support the framework, but I wasn't sure how to secure it (having it "floating" on top of the slabs didn't seem right). I did take a look at the packaging, but that application assumed that the boarding would be the final flooring surface (i.e. didn't account for laying a frame on top) and still didn't give any hint as to how to secure the boards.

Also took a look at the polystyrene stuff today (B&Q had a special name for it, but escapes me at the moment), but that looked even more prone to compression.

If I can figure a good way of securing some boarding on top of the dense slabs, then that might be the way to go. As you say, this would spread the load of the framework above.

Cheers
    v.f.

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    You just need a way of ensuring that the flooring doesn't move - maybe you can use some cut down batts around the sides so that they are insulating against the sides as well, and will limit any movement.

I would think that the sheer weight of the room construction and contents would be enough to prevent any movement, but like you, I'd prefer to know that rather than take a chance.

Gluing the 30mm batts to the side walls (as it suggests), and then fitting the new 4x2 partition walls flush against it will help keep the room immobile, as well as adding a little extra soundproofing. The only drawback is that you will lose an extra 5mm from the room size for each wall. Normaly there should be a one incha air gap, and I'm not sure if ther will be any detrimental affects from the partition walls actualy touching the batts that are glued to the wall.

Gary.

8. voodooflux

voodooflux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Cheers Gary, that might do the trick :smashin: . If I pad around the sides of the boarding, and use tongue and groove chipboard that I can glue together, then that should limit any movement. Then I'll slap my floating 4x2 frame on top of that (again padded at the sides), topped off with more chipboard.

I can't really afford to lose the width on the room by going for the full on room-within-a-room, so my walls will just be heavily insulated and have copious amounts of Soundbloc on 'em, as well as being isolated from the floor beneath. I'm hoping to really address the transmission of vibrations from the subwoofer to the room above my garage, where my youngest lad will (hopefully) be sleeping.

Many thanks for the advice - it's always great to knock these ideas about.

Cheers
    v.f.

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Don't forget to get some pics up somewhere we can see them ok? :)

Gary

10. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,562
    i've just posted a link u may be interested in...

11. voodooflux

voodooflux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Gary: will do - there's not much to see at the moment, but I've taken plenty of photos as I've gone along with the intention of doing a little website.

mjn - where did you post that link?

Cheers
    v.f.

12. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,562