Sound improvement

johnr2110

Hi All

I'm currently running a av300 receiver with kef eggs and to be honest the sound from the centre speaker is sadly lacking.

I've been corresponding with folks up on the speaker forum who in one case have suggested to me to change the front three for instance a pair of Monitor audio bronze BR2 and the appropriate centre speaker keeping a couple of eggs for rear surround duties and also retaining for the time being the Kef sub.

Any thoughts?

Badger0-0

My thoughts are, get rid of the eggs, I think they are garbage :)

That apart, I can't see a lot wrong.

Bin the crap sub and buy a BK or SVS at the first chance ;)

A 300 with eggs is somewhat embarrassing, IMO.

johnr2110

My thoughts are, get rid of the eggs, I think they are garbage :)

That apart, I can't see a lot wrong.

Bin the crap sub and buy a BK or SVS at the first chance ;)

A 300 with eggs is somewhat embarrassing, IMO.
Hi Badger

Would that be the BK Minotaur or the XLS200. On the speaker choice what's a good choice? My room size is 15ft x 12ft

Regards

JohnR

jason shep

Hi John,
Without knowing your budget for upgrading i would first suggest a subwoofer upgrade to improve dynamics & unburden the satellites, try a higher crossover frequency (150-200hz)& spend time integrating the subwoofer with the satellites.
An SVS sb12plus would be my recommendation,followed by a KEF3005 centre speaker if budget allows.

Good luck :thumbsup:

oceanrower

Novice Member
Take a look at Audiovector Avantgarde front and center-channel speakers. It will take your AVR300 to "world class hometheatre cinema sound". When the new lossless formats will take over Blu-Ray, this will be even more importaint.

johnr2110

Hi John,
Without knowing your budget for upgrading i would first suggest a subwoofer upgrade to improve dynamics & unburden the satellites, try a higher crossover frequency (150-200hz)& spend time integrating the subwoofer with the satellites.
An SVS sb12plus would be my recommendation,followed by a KEF3005 centre speaker if budget allows.

Good luck :thumbsup:
Hi Jason

So you would recommend only changing the centre egg?

jason shep

I would upgrade the subwoofer first,then the centre.
At what frequency do you crossover between satellites & sub ?

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
I think a pretty serious upgrade of the entire speaker package is required in order to realise the full potential of the AVR300. Those Kef 2005s will be strangling the system. Although a pair of BR2s and the matching centre would be an improvement, you'll still be a long way off the true potential of the AVR300. I would suggest looking at speakers from the following ranges:

Kef XQ series
PMC i-Series
Monitor Audio GS Series
Spendor S Series
Proac response Range

johnr2110

I think a pretty serious upgrade of the entire speaker package is required in order to realise the full potential of the AVR300. Those Kef 2005s will be strangling the system. Although a pair of BR2s and the matching centre would be an improvement, you'll still be a long way off the true potential of the AVR300. I would suggest looking at speakers from the following ranges:

Kef XQ series
PMC i-Series
Monitor Audio GS Series
Spendor S Series
Proac response Range
Hi Crustyloafer

Way out of my price range. Still, gives me something to aspire to.

ATB

John

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
The MJ Acoustics XENO speakers pack a surprising punch and aren't very expensive (little cheaper than BR2 IIRC). They are bigger in real life than they first appear in photos, but have a very nice gloss black finish and their sub is one that can be connected up line level and speaker level. End result is a stonking 5.1 system with fronts that are effective full range. Given the price breaks they do it would be an idea to just sell the entire KEF egg setup and replace it with a complete XENO 5.1 instead.

johnr2110

At what frequency do you crossover between satellites & sub ?[/QUOTE]

Hi Jason

Haven't a clue. What do you recommend.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom