1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound help..

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Dayzee, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Dayzee

Dayzee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive have done a search.. but couldn't find anything..

I bought some Mordant short speakers big front and two surround a centre and a gale bass. It sounds OK.

If you get close theres like a crinckly almost underwater noise. You cant hear it from far away - but i'm sure I havent done something right. I love good sound but am not that technical.. (although saying that I have it all wired through sky plus DVD PC PS2 - looks like cable hell from the back!) I have just followed guides etc. in order to do this.. so therefore I guess there could be something ive done..

Also what are the two extra speaker sockets for on the back of speaker as I ve already got it plugged in (H and L) I have it plugged into L (low?)

Also is it 'better' (i know personal preference should rule..but technically i mean) to have it on Dolby Digital - Pro Logic or Pro Logic 2 or DTS?

Also If your sofas are in different places - someones not going to get good sound or be unbalanced.. should I just accept this?

Finally, and only answer the first part if i'm asking too much, can I turn the 'echo' down at all - there are loads of settings on the yamaha amp and ive studied manual but all seem to give pre set up delay i.e. action movie, rock concert, hall, tv sports etc. - Sometimes especially on stuff thats not good quality i want to turn all that off and have it 'plain' but this seems impossible - but surely not!?

Thanx loads and loads and loads - and when I know what I'm doing i'll help you all out...

Dayzee xx

Mordant short 903s surround
    304 centre
    904 front
    Yamaha HDR 550RDS
    Gale Moviestar sub 7

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The two extra sockets on the back of the speakers are for biwiring. If they are single wired (as you have done) either of the two sockets should do.

If your amp doesn't decode the different automatically you will find that either Dolby Digital or DTS is best for DVDs and Pro Logic 2 for television. You haven't mentioned music but I prefer mine in plain stereo with out any added effects from Mr Yamaha

Normally, Yamaha's have hundreds of different effects from stadium or church to down a coal hole at night. They are all abominations and should be turned off

It is never easy to set up the equipment so that viewers on two settees in different parts of the room will benefit and compromise will be the order of the day.

Your first and perhaps most important question about the underwater sound - sorry but I haven't a clue

3. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If theres a high and low set of posts on the back of the speakers, and you're using a single run of cable, make sure there's a jumper between the +L and +H, and the -L and -H. Otherwise your tweeters won't be singing, giving you an 'underwater' sound.

hth

Rob

4. davej

davej
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the water sound noticeable for all sources or just Sky? If its just on Sky its something that's come up in these forums a few times, its down to how Sky transmit sound disagreeing with the way the receiver derives the surround sound, quite normal and nothing to worry about unless you intend to keep your speakers within a few inches of your head.