Sound from one input coming out all inputs.....

SOUNDSTYLE

Prominent Member
Reaction score
....if that makes sense.

My system:

Roksan Caspian cd player/pre amp/mono blocks

SRM Arezzo turntable

Vienna Acoustics baby grand speakers

Problem:

I have the turntable connected to one input, but while listening to the turntable, I switched to different inputs and heard the same quality sound coming out of most of the other inputs.

Is this normal, and if not, what could be causing the problem?

Thanks

I find I can hear it in the back ground of other inputs depending on the volume levels of the various inputs. So if my CD input was playing and set to max volume from the source and i swaped over to a different input and turned the amp dial up i can hear it faintly in the back ground.

As I only have one input it is not really a problem. Just something i noticed and deicded its best to only have one input playing at the same time.

Last edited:
Let's re-frame this.

First does you amp have a input specifically for PHONO, or are you using a external Phono Pre-amp connected to a general purpose Line Level Input?

Because, the PHONO input has extra equalization circuitry that is not on all the other Line Level inputs.

So, you are playing the PHONO and you switch to CD or TAPE, and you still hear the PHONO at the same volume and of equal quality? Is that what you are telling us?

And you say 'out of ... most other inputs'. Is it all other inputs or just some of them and which ones? What input are you connected to and which other inputs are putting out the same sound?

Can you give us the precise model numbers of you CD, Pre-amps, and Mono blocks?

Next have you contacted Roksan to see if they have an explanation?

Steve/bluewizard

Let's re-frame this.

First does you amp have a input specifically for PHONO, or are you using a external Phono Pre-amp connected to a general purpose Line Level Input?

Because, the PHONO input has extra equalization circuitry that is not on all the other Line Level inputs.

So, you are playing the PHONO and you switch to CD or TAPE, and you still hear the PHONO at the same volume and of equal quality? Is that what you are telling us?

And you say 'out of ... most other inputs'. Is it all other inputs or just some of them and which ones? What input are you connected to and which other inputs are putting out the same sound?

Can you give us the precise model numbers of you CD, Pre-amps, and Mono blocks?

Next have you contacted Roksan to see if they have an explanation?

Steve/bluewizard

Yes, I am using a phono pre-amp.

Yes, I am playing a record through the PHONO and I switch to other inputs and I am getting the same quality sound and volume out of the other inputs.

The sound quality and volume coming out of the other inputs is exactly the same, except for one but not by much (can't remember which one it is at the moment).

On the Roksan Caspian pre-amp I have the turntable pre-amp connected to 'Line 1', CD player connected to 'CD' input and a minidisc player connected to 'Line 2'.

'Tuner', 'Video' and 'Tape' are not being used.

Last edited:
The Roksan is broken. You'll need to get it serviced. [My AV9 started doing the same thing, it was replaced under guarantee].

Last edited:
Looks like it's an earthing problem with the turntable.

The Roksan is broken. You'll need to get it serviced. [My AV9 started doing the same thing, it was replaced under guarantee].

I'm inclined to agree.

In the good old days, switching inputs was done with a big bulky mechanical switch. However, I suspect on modern amps, it is done with a smaller simpler switch that is really controlling some reed relays. If the reeds stick closed, then when you switch channels, the relay is still engaged and sending signal through.

You could check to see if while the Turntable is playing, if you switch to CD and play the CD player (as an example) do you hear both. If you do, the certainly the switching mechanism, whatever it may be, is stuck closed.

Steve/bluewizard

Looks like it's an earthing problem with the turntable.
Strange. Inadequate TT grounding causes a horrible hum, or with some older direct drive TTs a combined banging and hum. That's not quite the same symptom as hearing the TT through other inputs at the same level.

Well I've tried using the 'TUNER' input and it is alright at the moment.
I don't think it is the turntable having a earthing problem.
I will see how I go and if it happens again then it must be the Roksan pre-amp, which I will not be happy with, as it is was not cheap!
It will be a pain having to travel to the hifi store I bought it from.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom