• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sound from amp / surround sound when using USB in tv

Ben120379

Established Member
Hi,

I have a Panasonic Viera Plasma and a Denon amp with surround sound. All works ok, but obviously missing some connection / setting as when I plug USB into back of tv the Tv advises all outputs will be disconnected and sound only plays through tv speakers.

I have tired pushing a few buttons on remote and plugging USB into amp but button pushing makes no difference and format of files on USB don't get recognised on amp!

Any ideas? I imagine straightforward such as buying a cable or changing connection set up, but some clarification would be great.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Ben.

dante01

Distinguished Member
What are you trying to connect where and with what? Neither your TV or the receiver have USB outputs and these ports on these two devices are input only. If connecting a flash drive or other storage device to your receiver, then it should be noted that your receiver can only handle audio and not video files via its USB input. What are the file formats and what is the audio encoded as? How have you connected the TV to your AV receiver?

It also helps if you give details of the models being used.

Last edited:

Ben120379

Established Member
Thanks for the reply.

Denon 2113 and Viera TX P42ST50B.

USB if standard external hard drive and trying to play a film, which is fine but as I say the sound only plays through the tv. Is there a way around this?

:laugh:

larkone

Distinguished Member
:rtfm:

P65 of your manual has details of which ports output audio when using USB drives

●During the operation, audio signal is output from AV1, DIGITAL AUDIO OUT and HDMI2 (ARC function) terminals.
But no video signals are output. AV1 can output audio signal if [AV1 out] is set to [Monitor] in the Setup Menu (p. 43).
To use HDMI2 with ARC function, connect an amplifier that has ARC function (p. 85) and set to use theatre speakers
(p. 91).

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
As explained in the Panasonic manual for your TV on page 65 (see also quote from larkone), you will need to configure ARC functionality or run a cable from the "digital audio output" connector to the AVR. This applies not only to USB, but in fact, to all sources originating in the TV.

So to make this work, use the TV's internal tuner to watch a channel it can receive - that is do not use any source routed through the AVR., Ensure you are able to listen to it through the AVR's speakers (not the TV's speakers). The USB device will then also work.

Using ARC requires using the ARC-enabled HDMI connectors (as marked), enabling HDMI control (Vieralink) on both devices, enabling ARC on both devices, and using a HDMI cable manufactured to specification (any certified cable will work but some cheap uncertifiable cables skimp on the wires). All of this is explained in lucid detail in the manuals.

Ben120379

Established Member
"All of this is explained in lucid detail in the manuals"

...........the detail above blow my mind!!!!

Will dig out the manual and try and work through this later.........may (almost certainly) be posting again this evening if I get stuck though!

larkone

Distinguished Member
All you really need to do is take the HDMI lead on the TV out of HDMI 1 and connect it to HDMI 2 - this will send audio back to the amp. Leave the amp end connected to the TV HDMI socket on the amp. Then select TV Audio on the amp and you should be good to go. All HDMI cables support ARC and you would be unlucky if yours has this missed out. Vieralink does not apply here as only one device is supports it (TV) and you need two Panasonic devices to make it work.

dante01

Distinguished Member
All you really need to do is take the HDMI lead on the TV out of HDMI 1 and connect it to HDMI 2 - this will send audio back to the amp. Leave the amp end connected to the TV HDMI socket on the amp. Then select TV Audio on the amp and you should be good to go. All HDMI cables support ARC and you would be unlucky if yours has this missed out. Vieralink does not apply here as only one device is supports it (TV) and you need two Panasonic devices to make it work.

He'd actually have to turn on ARC on both the amp and the TV as well as HDMI control (Viera Link on Panasonic TVs). Viera Link is applicable contrary to what you've posted. Viera Link is simply Panasonic's take on HDMI CEC (Control) and ARC doesn't function without HDMI CEC being enabled on both devices. You do not need two Panasonic devices to take advantage of Viera Link and any form or HDMI Control will use the same CEC standards.

Last edited:

larkone

Distinguished Member
Hi Dante, you may well be right. I was going from the TV manual and I couldn't find anywhere is says you have to enable Vieralink for ARC to work.

Last edited:

Ben120379

Established Member
He'd actually have to turn on ARC on both the amp and the TV as well as HDMI control (Viera Link on Panasonic TVs.

How I do the above as Viera Link states feature not available and I am unsure where this setting is on the Denon, although I did try having a google of the manual etc!

dante01

Distinguished Member
He'd actually have to turn on ARC on both the amp and the TV as well as HDMI control (Viera Link on Panasonic TVs.

How I do the above as Viera Link states feature not available and I am unsure where this setting is on the Denon, although I did try having a google of the manual etc!

Both ARC and HDMI Control are within the HDMI settings located within the Video Settings of Denon AV receivers:

kt20.jpg

There's no specific setting requirement to enable ARC when using a Denon AV receiver and this function is enabled when you turn HDMI Control on.

Last edited:

Ben120379

Established Member
Thank you, thank you, thank you........ It is now all good via the USB and surround sound!!!!

A picture paints a thousand words I guess!!!!

Cheers Dante01.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom