Sound from a Panny

Alan_W

Ihave just about managed to convince SWMBO that we really must have a plasma and have settled on a Panny PW6B or maybe a PA20.

I have a AV sound system and Sky box so I don't need the tuner or speakers BUT my wife wants idiot proof simplicity when watching Coronation Street.

She needs to turn it on.....watch and listen, using as few buttons as possible (I know I know where's the fun in that :rolleyes: )

So can I just take an audio out from the screen to my amp which will pump out the sound from whatever is on the screen eg sky or videos leaving me free to switch the amp input to my DVD when I want real sound.?

I suspect this is an idiotically simple question but the nearer I get to buying the thing the more confused I am getting as to what converters and switches I need.

Del

Alan_W

Panny 6B: no phono audio outputs. Only speaker spring clips for the optional speakers.

Panny PA20: there are pair(L&R) phono outputs. In addition, speakers are integrated.

So, it may seem that the PA20 is the easier option for what you propose, although you can achieve almost the same results with the PW6B

Connecting the Sky box with a fully wired scart cable to the PA20, SWMBO can switch it on and off, control volume of the built in speakers & change channels using the sky remote.

You can use the audio outputs from the PA20 to connect to an audio input on your amp (although it would be better to use the audio output from the sky box).

Alternatively, if you go down the PW6B route (No tuner or built in speakers), you'll need to get the optional speakers or an alternative suitable pair, and connect the sky box as mentioned above.This gives you a similar solution and most importantly, SINGLE REMOTE CONTROL FOR BOTH OPTIONS.

Hope this helps
Del:smoke:

JamesTapp

Standard Member
If you use a RGB 2 Component convertor (JS Technology) to connect your RGB sources to the plasma then this includes phono outs which can be fed into your amplifier.

I use cascaded SCARTs and this method, so that I can get stereo audio from Cable, Tivo, PS2 and DVD via the amplifier without switching the source on the amplifier. If I want 5.1 click the amp to DVD! ;)

James

Alan_W

Thanks for that Del

I was hoping that she would be able to have the sound from whatever source on the screen,(sky or video) coming through the speakers as a sort of "default" and I would then have to change things for "cinema" use.

I prefer the look of the PW6B.

saturday

Standard Member
I have a PW6 with a decent amp and speakers. However I also have a couple of tiny Wharfdale speakers driven by the screen. If the family can't be bothered to turn on the AV stuff then they just turn up the volume on the Sky remote which I've set to operate the plasma. Easy for them and surprisingly good sound.

CARLOS

Distinguished Member
I`ve done the same as saturday and use a older pair of very small mission speakers connected to the screen for the odd occasions when i don`t want to fire up the whole system !

Cheers

Alan_W

Originally posted by saturday
I have a PW6 with a decent amp and speakers. However I also have a couple of tiny Wharfdale speakers driven by the screen.

Saturday

Sounds ideal. How are they "driven by the screen"?

gingerone

I have a one for all kameleon remote and use the macro functions so that one button switches on my plasma, ntl, and amp.
There's no fidling around as all the sound and cable functions are on the same remote and it is extremely wife friendly!

Alan_W

the panny 6 screen has a 2x8 w inbuilt amp

BINGO. So all I need to do is wire up an old pair of small speakers and she can watch all the Coronation Street she wants in full simplistic sound, without fiddling with anything. :clap:

Paul97

Originally posted by gingerone
I have a one for all kameleon remote and use the macro functions so that one button switches on my plasma, ntl, and amp.
There's no fidling around as all the sound and cable functions are on the same remote and it is extremely wife friendly!
Hi Gingerone
Is the one for all kameleon remote easy to programme, the thought of only having 1 remote instead of 6 is very appealing.
:smashin:
Paul

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
42PD3000, Yam 630RDS, Kef 2005.2,Pioneer 444s,Nokia 221T

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom