1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound formats

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by hornydragon, Mar 17, 2002.

1. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Can some one tell which sound formats Game Cube PAL will use and X-Box PAL i bekieve the X-Box is Pro-logic 2 is this true, and is it better than DTS. I have my audio gear setup for DD, DTS and dont want to buy a console that uses a third un-supported formart.
    Taz I am very interseted to find out what you think of the 3 big names as you can evaluate them properly, Is SSX tricky better on PS2 or GC?

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think you're getting the two mixed up - the XBOX supports Dolby Digital, the Gamecube supports Dolby Pro Logic II (at least the import one does anyway).

Pro Logic II is not better than DTS - it doesn't even come close but it can be implemented very well in a gaming environment because of it's real-time capabilities. Rogue Leader on the Gamecube does a brilliant job with Pro Logic II but we are talking Star Wars here. Nothing quite like the sound of Tie Fighters flying all around you!

I haven't played Tricky on the XBOX yet but I can tell you the Gamecube version is smoother with cleaner graphics than the PS2 version. The PS2 version however, offers a better control method which is unforgivable considering the Gamecube controller is the most ergonomic ever designed (IMHO).

Comparing the same game over different systems is not the best way to make a decision on which console is best for you. More often than not, it comes down to how well the developer implements the conversion and how familiar they are with the hardware. Each console will be host their own unique games so try and decide which ones you enjoy playing most.