1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound formats and playback.

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by MonkeyDonkey, Aug 18, 2002.

1. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was just looking at CD-wows listing of Band Of Brothers and something just occured to me which may put a stop in my plans.

If a disc contains an English 5.1 track, then either no stereo/Dolby Surround or stereo/Dolby Surround in a different language and is played through a Pro Logic reciever or even just a stereo TV would another language or no sound be heard, or would it work ok? I'm presuming I'd hear one of the other languages?

I hope this makes sense, if not I'll try again!
    Thanks!

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Usually even selecting the English 5.1 track, the dvd player will send the bitstream digital signal to the amp and if you have it connected via a fully wired scart cable to the tv you´ll get analogue sound. Most players downmix internally for output via scart or their analogue outs.

You may have to tinker with the players internal settings but it depends what make/model you have.

If you selected the French Dolby Surround track, you´d only get that though via both outputs.

3. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go to thedigitalbits.com, it's got the specs for B.O.B. :D

It's: English DD5.1, DTS 5.1, DDStereo (pro-logic)
    French DDStereo & Spanish DDStereo.

Also an High-def transfer at 1.78:1

Cheers
    JD

4. timothyw

timothyw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I think to comply to dvd spec, all dvd players must have the ability to output a 2 channel pro-logic mixdown of 5.1 soundtracks. This will be on by default so that Joe Public can just bung a scart between telly and player and 'Hey Presto, dvd!' (clearly not the avforums spirit :) )
    Often dvd players will have the ability to disable this. For example, the old Toshiba dvd player my dad has can either output the ac3 bitstream, and nothing on the analogue output, or it can output a pro logic mixdown through both the analogue and digital outputs (in PCM).

5. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks a lot! :D