1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound Format minefield

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Zog, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Zog

Zog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Been looking for some basic explanation of the numerous sound formats currently around.
    At the risk of exposing myself for the novice that I am, could some of you please fill in the gaps below and correct anything else about which I have been mis-informed.

Dolby Prologic; Available from any stereo source with the approprate decoder. (If this is so, why do some broadcasters advertise programmes "In Dolby Surround"). It produces front stereo, centre and mono sound of limited band width to a pair of rear speakers.

Dolby Prologic II; As above but with a "processed" stereo signal to the rear speakers.

Dolby Digital; Front and rear (full band width) stereo + centre.

Dolby Digital EX; ?

DTS; Same result as DD but slightly different decoding method.

DTS-ES Discrete; ?

DTS-ES Matrix; ?

DTS-ES NEO; ?

Can somebody also explain why some discs which I have seen, indicate on the box that the sountrack is in mono, whilst also having the Dolby Digital logo on them?

Basic I know, but then that should make it all the easier for you !!

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
  3. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Zog my quick summary
    DD ad DTS are 5.1 dont forget teh sub.
    DPL2 Has stereo rears that are full frequency range which really adds to the affects.

DD EX is a 6.1 sound format with a centre rear speaker or speakers. THX says use 2.

DTS ES Discrete is another 6.1 sound format with the six channel encoded discretely which means it has its own channel of digital bits for that channel. As always DTS uses a less lossy encoding technique which means a higher bit rate from teh DVD and in most cases better sound.

DTS ES Matrix is similar to discrete but the 6th track is matrix encoded int othe other two rear channels. So it doesnt have its own digital bits if you like. Matrix encoding is clever addtions and subtractions of signals at encoding time. This uses less storage space than discrete on the disc. Genera feeling is that Matrix sound is inferior to discrete. However so few titles are about that its difficult to form an opinion.

DTS Neo is DTS atempt at extracting surround from Stereo sources. Gives some surround affects from TV broadcasts etc. Its a matter of taste but I prefer DPL2.

Rog

4. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DD EX is a 6.1 sound format with a centre rear speaker or speakers. THX says use 2.

I thought this was only for large rooms. Otherwise you can use one.

5. Stuart M. Robinson

Stuart M. Robinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

“DD EX is a 6.1 sound format with a centre rear speaker or speakers. THX says use 2. DTS ES Discrete is another 6.1 sound format with the six channel encoded discretely…”

I’ve probably mentioned this before, but once more for fun…

Dolby Digital Surround EX is not a “6.1” format. It does not have six discrete full-range channels and a bandwidth limited sub, which is what “6.1” means. It’s actually a 3/2:3.1 system.

You can see how by using “6.1” things quickly become confusing. DTS 6.1 Discrete is (almost) a discrete “6.1” system and the term applies correctly when describing that format. So you can’t have it both ways, if one system is “6.1” then the other quite obviously is not.

Stuart M. Robinson
    SMR Group – http://www.smr-group.co.uk/

6. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3