Sound fade-out in Stereo mode

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by kev_gordon, Feb 14, 2002.

1. kev_gordon

kev_gordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently (just before Christmas) purchased a Sony DVP-S735 DVD player.

As I have not yet got round to buying a surround amp and speakers, I'm currently using my Hi-Fi, or the TV only, for the sound in stereo.

I have noticed that when playing almost all DVD's, at certain points the sound seems to fade or drop out a little. It seems like the voice channel is getting overwhelmed by other sounds - particularly in intensive action scenes. This is repeatable, i.e. if I go back to the same point in the film, the same sound fade out occurs. The sound does not go completely, it just mutes a little, but noticeably so.

Surely, if I have set the DVD player to 'Surround Off' or 'TV Stereo' modes, this should not happen - but it does.

Do you think that I have a fault with the player?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    check in the sound menu of the player to make sure you have down mixed the sound from 5.1 to stereo. All should work ok then

3. kev_gordon

kev_gordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your response. I should have mentioned that I had checked that and it is already set to stereo.

Any other ideas anyone?

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,000
    Whenever you downmix a DD5.1 soundtrack into stereo, it will get compressed - ie the loud bits get quieter relative to the quite bits. There is no solution to this, other than to select the stereor/DPL soundtrack, if the disc has one. Otherwise, it's a DD amplifier needed methinks.