Question Sound equalisation on Reciever

Rob89

I've been watching stuff like action films, and there's a bit of a problem (especially on older films) were the dialog is quiet, then when there's something like gunfire, it's extremely loud! and have to turn the volume down, but then it makes the dialog quieter. Is there anyway i can equalize the loud audio effects, like gun shots and explosions (even rock music) so it's more in line with the dialog, which means i can turn it up a bit louder if it sounds too quiet (without worrying about the louder sound effects) or even the loudness just being lessened, so there's still somewhat of a contrast between the two.

My receiver is a Yamaha v767.

D

Deleted member 39241

Do you have a centre speaker in your set-up? If so, try turning up the trim level of that speaker by 2 or 3db, as the majority of the dialogue will generate from that speaker, so having that louder than the others might help with your issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
:rtfm:
Adaptive DRC (Dynamic Range Control)
and
Dialogue Lift

are mentioned in the spec for the AVR: investigate what they can do to help?

Rob89

Do you have a centre speaker in your set-up? If so, try turning up the trim level of that speaker by 2 or 3db, as the majority of the dialogue will generate from that speaker, so having that louder than the others might help with your issue.

Yeah i've already adjusted the levels of my speakers from when i first got my receiver. Got centre at 3.5+db and left and right at 1.0+db surrounds left at 0db.
and
Dialogue Lift

Adaptive DRC was already set to On, but Dialogue Lift is just displaying 3 dashes and wont let me change anything.

dante01

Distinguished Member
and
Dialogue Lift

Dialogue lift is a Yamaha feature associated with raising the perceived location from where the centre channel is portrayed from. This if for use with larger screens . It has nothing to do with making the dialogue more discernible. This feature requires the use of front presence speakers which are used in conjunction with the centre speaker to portray the centre channel:

snapshot001.jpg

stewjoy

It can’t be used if using Surround decoder as well.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Unfortunately if you try disconnecting your other speakers and just listen to the centre speaker, you will find there's quite a lot of music and FX in there as well! It's a common misconception that the centre speaker is for dialogue only. The truth is that the dialogue often ONLY comes out of the centre speaker and not the mains or surround, while music and FX exists across all channels.

The fix is to get younger... The ability to discern and separate sounds reduces with age - which is why all teenagers mumble and it appears incomprehensible to us that they can listen to loud music and hold a conversation at the same time!

Increasing the level of the centre channel will help a little, but other methods such as reducing reverberation and indirect (reflected) sound within the room often give better results.

Because dialogue tracks are not object orientated on the majority of releases - IE: there's not an entirely separate audio track of just the dialogue, it's almost impossible to do any amount of separation and boosting of it. Formats like Atmos & DTS X that do support object orientated surround could have entirely dialogue centred tracks, but I am not aware that this is used in home formats, only cinema releases, where there's far more control over object placement. (I could be wrong on that, as my knowledge of current Atmos/DTS X home formats is not great)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom