1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound Drop Outs

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by glenlee, Nov 25, 2003.

1. glenlee

glenlee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a problem with sound drop outs when watching films.

While watching loud scenes sometimes the sound drops off completely for a second or 2 and when the sound comes back the display on the amp tells me the source information as if I had just switched the film/dvd player on.

Heres my kit list. I have my suspicions but need a wise second (and third etc....) opinion.

Arcam DV88+ DVD player (gorgeous, please don't be that!)
    Sony str 940 amp/receiver
    Fronts are B&W 602.5
    Centre B&W 60 (3 I think)
    MJ Acoustics reference 100 sub (rumbly)
    Fujitsu Plasma.

I have gone down the slow upgrade path, started with Pascal sub/sat combi (I didn't know they were no good when I bought them!) with the Sony amp.

Then upgraded the speakers to The B&W and ran this for a while without a sub.

The problem started when I bought the sub. Which makes me think that the amp is too weak for the kit I have attached to it or the sub is faulty?

Please help, all opinions greatfully received.
    G

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a few people have had sound dropouts with there arcam dv88
    i have never had any.

maybe you should check all cables are in properly. then check you have the latest firmware for your arcam. if it is that.

good luck.

3. glenlee

glenlee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't want it to be the player! For starters it's the best excuse i've had so far for replacing my ageing amp!
    But-
    I've just sent an E-mail to arcam about getting the lattest software.

I looked on the net and found a place to download the files but the instructions where a bit lacking and the player said 'bad disk'

When you pay £1000 for a gorgeous silver box you don't want to slap any old disc into it do you?!!

Anybody know where else I can get these files from with decent instructions in case I can't wait for Arcam?

4. glenlee

glenlee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have just been in to my supplier and he suggested trying a different digital coax lead from dvd to amp, apparently some chord leads have dry solder problems, he loaned me a new lead but the problem is still there.

I have just discovered that the sounds drops when a power socket or light switch is turned on/off in another room.

What does this mean? Is it the amp, dvd or wiring in my house?
    Please help.

5. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'd guess that you mains are on the limit of reliability for your particular bits of kit. You may find that it a voltage drop that drops beneath the threshold that you kit needs to keep functioning 100%.
    I use Meridian gear and the other night it kept dropping into stand-by (worse than just dropping out) at the same time my lights were dimming/flickering. The local elec board had also been digging up the road outside.
    I'm no electrician but it seemed the most likely cause.

I read somewhere, probably in the Russ Andrews papers, about testing the supply variation to your house. If you think it's really bad, then speak with the elec provider. They have a statutary obligation to supply within limits which should be fine for any kit. Your supply may be out of spec.

Alternatively, borrow or demo a PS Audio mains device like the PS300 and see if you still get the issue.

6. glenlee

glenlee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all, problem is still on-going.

NCPL - A friend of mine is an electrician and I've called him in to 'test-me-wires', he says they're all fine and the supply is well within what I want it to do. If it wasn't then other things like lights and extractor fans pick those problems up first, (apparently).
    I did have a problem like yours not long ago where I used to live. When I used the dyson the lights would dip and the vacuum would pulse, I got the electric people in and they tested up to the house. It turned out to be a joint failing in the street outside. Upshot was that I got my front garden dug over for free!!!!

7. glenlee

glenlee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oops, pressed the wrong button, hadn't finished my update!!

Anyhoo---

The new coax lead didn't remove the problem, but I did find that it was caused by switch flicking - so here are some other things i've tried.

1, swapped for my old sony dvd, no problem at all when connected with coax.

2, Connected Arcam to amp with Optical lead, problem goes away!

3, With coax lead used (optical removed) but removing the Sub woofer from the amp, the problem goes away.

4, subwoofer lead tested by my leccy friend, all ok, no resistance or cross wiring.

So, what is it then?
    Amp?
    Sub?
    DVD?

Please help, I'm starting to cry in public and it's not good!!!!!!

8. glenlee

glenlee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've sorted it!!! And for anyone who might have a similar problem I'll even let you know how!!!

My Arcam 88+ was plugged in with a 2 wire mains lead, the Sony str db940 was plugged in with its 2 wire (permanent) mains lead, the sub was plugged in with a 3 wire kettle type mains lead and was earthing the whole system!

I changed the Arcam lead to a proper 3 pin/wire kettle type lead and this didn't stop the problem, so I then fastened 5 pence worth of speaker wire from the grounding point on the Amp to one of the Arcams cover screws - WOO HOO it fixed it!!!

I thought I was going to have to buy a new amplifier (what a shame that would have been!!!) but no, 20cm of cheap wire has fixed my system.

I must say a huge thank you to the people at Sevenoaks in Hull for helping me out. (also all that contributed on this page)
    We came up with the solution together but would still have the problem without a major juggling session of replacement equipment to prove all my kit was working fine.

20 cm of wire or a new amp for £800? Damn, I have to keep my old amp!

9. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Don't you just hate it when that happens ;)

Glad you're all sorted