Sound Drop Out Tonight

rasb0

Novice Member
I take it thats a NO!

Just me.:confused:

New Thomson Sky+ 160 box! Oh Dear, problems already.

The Amstrad was so reliable too!

Horness

Novice Member
My Thompson (not 160) has similar problems. Not localised to the Movie channels though.

Was fitted last Saturday. Since then, sound "judders" 3-4 times a day, and it's needed a reset once.

:rolleyes:

Horness

neilbr

Standard Member
I've been getting sound problems on all of the movie channels for the last few days. It's fine through my tv speakers, but via optical out to my av amp the sound is pulsing on an off rythmically - Dolby Digital and Pro-logic 2. If I change the sound setting on Sky+ to output 'Normal' through optical it is fine. Obviously this is not going to provide Dolby Digital sound though.

Is this the same problem your getting? Anyone else getting similar problems?

Thanks

C

Cynthia 7

Hi rasb0,

After Sky's software update last August I had this happen quite a lot. It's better now but still happens occasionally, not just on the Movie channels but on other channels too.

Sometimes putting the Sky box on standby and then switching it off at the mains does the trick. I get better results leaving it switched off for 30 minutes to an hour. When you switch it back on leave it for a minute as this is when the Sky box sorts itself out whilst in standby with the red button. I then press Sky button and then let it do the demo for a minute or so before pressing tv guide button.

rasb0

Novice Member
neilbr said:
I've been getting sound problems on all of the movie channels for the last few days. It's fine through my tv speakers, but via optical out to my av amp the sound is pulsing on an off rythmically - Dolby Digital and Pro-logic 2. If I change the sound setting on Sky+ to output 'Normal' through optical it is fine. Obviously this is not going to provide Dolby Digital sound though.

Is this the same problem your getting? Anyone else getting similar problems?

Thanks

The problem does appear to be thru the optical. It doesn't happen when I'm not using the amp:confused:

micks_address

had complete sound droputs via optical to my amp thursday... i was away for the weekend and back last night. no sound on optical... plugged my optical lead out and pushed in again and sound came back... something up though or at least there was! Hope sky have it sorted as i like dolby digital!

Schumi 01

Recorded the simpsons last night, went to watch it this morning and had sound drop out throughout the program.:thumbsdow

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
I rang sky's technical department yesterday. there is already a few threads on sound drop out.

He told me straight off that this is "a known issue to sky". no workaround at the mo, but a team are working on it. All he could advise is to change settings to output normal (which gives you pro logic or stereo, but to me, this defeats the object.

some people seem to think that this happens on most denon amps, although it has been reported on other makes as well....hope this gets sorted before sky HD arrives. whats the point in having a fantastic picture with ok sound?????.

Horness

Novice Member
some people seem to think that this happens on most denon amps, although it has been reported on other makes as well....hope this gets sorted before sky HD arrives. whats the point in having a fantastic picture with ok sound?????.

Thanks for checking that out. Getting the same problem here. New Thompson PVR3 (I think, it's the 40Gb, not the 160), with sound drop-out. Amp is a Denon AVR-2803.

Like you said - work around is a bit lame, but if the Sky techies are working on it, I suppose I can wait a bit longer.

Horness

rasb0

Novice Member
Thanx all for your input and ultimately getting to the bottom of this issue.

You're a good bunch really, despite what some might think:smashin:

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom