Sound doesn't go from SKYHD to Amp just straight to TV.

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by ltfc4ever, Jan 5, 2007.

1. ltfc4ever

ltfc4ever
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've just upgraded from a 26" Samsung to a Toshiba 42" 42WLT66. All is great apart from the fact that the sound only comes through the TV now and not through my AV amp as before. I'm linking to the TV via HDMI and have 2 phono leads going from the SKY HD box to my AV amp but whatever I do it only outputs through the TV.

This exact setup worked fine with the samsung but doesn't appear to work with the toshiba. Amp working fine with my 360 through an optical connection and fine with my Wii through phono.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Mark

2. Dave P

Dave P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    A couple of things to check.

On my amp the input labelled 'DVD' has optical, electrical and phono inputs. As it happens I use all three and have the input set to 'automatic' so it picks up which ever device is turned on. However, if 'automatic' isn't set then it defaults to electrical only and kills off the other two.

If you have a similar set up check that devices sharing optical/electrical/phono 'DVD' input aren't turned on. On mine, which ever is turned on first holds priority.

Hope this helps.

3. ltfc4ever

ltfc4ever
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Dave,

It's a Denon AV amp and only accepts analogue as an input for the TV input. Tried setup but it just relates to the speaker config. I'll try connecting it to another input tonight.

Cheers

Mark

4. davybaker

davybaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    There's a couple of ways around this. I have a Denon amp connected to my sky HD box using component cables. The HD output optical goes to one of the two denon inputs. I then had to select that optical input via setup of the denon to match my TV component output when selecting TV on the denon's remote.

If however you just want to stick with analogue, the 42WLT66 does itself have analogue sound stereo output. You can connect this as an input to your denon to get dolby prologig II. Then all you need to do is turn the sound down to 0 on the tosh as the output to the denon isn't affected by the tosh's remote.

5. sizedoesmatter

sizedoesmatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Not quite sure that I understand, (what denon amp do you have-I have a 2801). Does yrs have optical inputs?

6. Kimberson

Kimberson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,833
    Why dont you use the digital output into the amp for dolby digital ???

7. Woodywizz

Woodywizz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,120
    Agreed - just use optical from the SkyHD box to the Denon amp, and ensure that the 'optical output' option in the Sky services menu is set to "DolbyD". Switch the amp to the relevant input and turn the volume on the TV to nil.

8. ltfc4ever

ltfc4ever
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've just got one optical input on video 2 which I'm using for my xbox360. Does anyone know of decent optical switching gear? The 360 is off when I'm not using it so that would seem to work. I followed dave's help and got in via phono but would obviously prefer to get DD.

Cheers

Mark

9. Woodywizz

Woodywizz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,120
    Use this as a quick and simple method of linking both your Xbox and the SkyHD box to the one optical input on your amp.