Sound Distortion Problems

So the best way would be for me to find a way to mount the SSD inside the case and attach it to a spare 'SATA' which will be a socket type of arrangement? There is usually a series of these inside the case?
SSDs have a standard 2.5” format. Desktop HDDs are 3.5” format. SSDs are light enough to be secured with double sided tape anywhere in the chassis. Officially you can buy 2.5” to 3.5” adapters that will mount in a 3.5” HDD bay. Modern cases usually have specific 2.5” mounts

Yes, most motherboards have spare SATA sockets, you may need to buy a SATA data cable such as this.

Amazon product ASIN B07TB5QBPK
Most computers have spare SATA power cables. At a pinch if you have a DVD drive you might be able to temporarily disconnect it’s SATA cable (and power cable) and use that instead. However if you intend on reusing the HDD you will need to purchase a cable.
I already use CCleaner. Another thing in my large defense battery! I notice that you always uninstall afterward. This is to keep things as simple as they need to be and conserve resources?
Yes ccleaner constantly runs in the background using up resources. As a final note windows 10 automatically defragments HDDs every week

Last edited:
In another thread, the possible source of my issues was highlighted by the BSODs I have had with the error message "system thread exception not handled. lvrs64sys" This is a Logitech driver for my C270 webcam. I have downloaded the drivers again but then not cured the sound distortion issue. Is the BSOD unrelated or a potential cause? I can't see how the video/audio-in side of things would affect my audio-out?

Does this send me back in the direction of resources? Are my options to go for the SSD as given earlier, seriously cull file storage on my HDD, upgrade my CPU?

Are you still having speed/sound distortion issues - I thought this had been solved
The super-slow computer problem has gone and the audio distortion has as well so creating enough headroom to achieve this (By deleting an unwanted app) has got me back to a usable speed.
David

Alas, the distortion on sound has reappeared but the sluggish PC has not. I haven't downloaded any big new apps but I have had another BSOD as reported above. Is this likely to be a resource issue?
The last two BSOD events have occurred during Zoom meetings during which I could hear (albeit distorted) incoming audio but others could either not hear or understand (due to distortion) outgoing audio. I get distortion on Zoom, YouTube, Spotify, and CDs.

Initially I would rule out a hardware/software problem, do a memory test to check the RAM. Apologies if you have already done this
1)Type "memory" in the start search box and follow the prompts for windows memory tool
2) Check the hard drive for errors by running the windows hard drive error checker.
Go to This PC, right click on C drive, properties, tools, error check.
3)Download and run Crystaldiskinfo from here to check the smart status
If the hard drive and memory is good then we need to cleanup windows
4) Right Click on the start menu, choose windows powershell (admin). In the window that opens type
sfc /scannow
post back with the results

A bit late coming back with this. Sorry!

1. Memory: I did this but I couldn't see any results after the re-start.
2. Hard drive errors: No errors found.
3. CrystalDiskInfo: File attached.
4. sfc /scannow: File attached.

The sfc /scannow seems to have corrected an error. The sound distortion hasn't gone.

Attachments

• 21-04-06 CrystalDiskInfo_20210406170055.txt
    15 KB · Views: 35
  • 21-04-06 sfc scannow.jpg
    21-04-06 sfc scannow.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 41
It doesn't seem to be a windows problem with drivers but as a final option you can use the DISM command
If DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth doesn't show any problems you can assume that the windows image isn't corrupted

If the DISM command doesn't help then as everything else seems to check out, the only problem left therefore is one of resources. I think you need to free up some space on the boot drive so that at least you have 30% free space. If that doesn't help I would also look into disabling some of the software that is using up CPU resources - Acronis, Zone Alarm MBAM etc - check task manager if needed and see how it performs then after disabling one by one in startup manager. Also avoid having many multiple tabs open in your browser as these are a frequent memory hog.

Last edited:
David,

Again many thanks for your advice. I've purchased the SSD that you recommended and the SATA cable and I'm just summoning up the courage to open the PC and install it. Hopefully, this will cure my resources issue and I'm sure load programmes etc. a lot quicker.

You will need to clone the boot drive to the new SSD so that it can be fully utilised. Go to the SSD manufacturers website to get the cloning software. If you update your post with the Manufacturer of the SSD I can find you the link for you to download

two links from crucial
1) An SSD pdf installation guide
The guide assumes you are using a laptop so you can ignore the stuff about a USB-SATA adapter as you will be mounting the drive internally.

2) Acronis cloning software

If you have problems let me know. You would still need to make sure you have at least 30% free space on the SSD, performance does suffer the fuller it gets

David

Last edited:
David,

Thanks for the Crucial links.

I have also followed your link to the DISM tool and worked through the steps. I have attached the report. Reading it (with my lack of knowledge) it seems to say, as you did earlier, that there are no disk problems. Although I did note that the DISM process did not repair any faults that it might find.

The SSD installation will come next.

Attachments

• 21-04-13 DISM scannow.jpg
    21-04-13 DISM scannow.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 34
Just to report back on the final outcome, I JUST have finished installing a new SSD in my PC and have spent some time cloning, formatting, changing file locations, and deleting duplicates. This has resulted in a speedy PC with no sound distortion. Many thanks to all who have helped me through this process!

David,

So satisfying to get to a solution after all we tried via the forum. The PC is so quick now! and the sound distortion has gone I have learned a lot and I was pleased to be able to install the hardware and set up the software.

Thanks again for your and other members' support.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom