Sound delays

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by BrynTeg, Apr 29, 2007.

1. BrynTeg

BrynTeg
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,075
    i recorded the underworld evolution in hd last night, i went to watch it now and while the piccy was stunning the audio was out by a good few seconds,is there anyway to rectify this or wait until another showing?
    i have audio delay set to 80ms in the settings

2. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,057
    Is the sound ahead or behind the video.

The 'audio delay' feature found in AV Amps is designed to sort out the problem where the sound is ahead of the video.

This is particularly common with big panels where there are a lot of scaling, interlacings and pixels to process. The sound and video leave the source at the same time. The sound is processed pretty much immediately, but the panel takes time to process the video so the sound ends up ahead. This delay is typicaly in the region 60-80mS so you will find amps with a facility upto 200-300mS (or 80mS in your case) which is sufficient to handle this problem. The time your panel takes to process the picture is more or less the same or the time so once you have worked out which delay works best you can 'set and forget'.

Sky has a different problem. More often than not it is the sound which is behind the video. Th delay varies by channel, time of day etc. The 'audio delay' in your amp can't fix it because it is the wrong way round to Sky and even if it could you would also be fiddling with the setting because it changes so frequently.

I haven't found a solution - just learn to live with it.

I have found the delay to be worse on Dolby Digital transmissions and also, if I am watching a programme whilst it is recording. For example, I watched King Kong whilst it was recording and had to give up because the audio delays were so bad. The next day I watched the recording and it was fine.

Cheers,

Nigel

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Just finished watching last nights HD broadcast of Underworld Evolution and no sync issues at all which has been consistent since day1 with a 60ms delay and no external amp delay settings (which my amp doesn't have:) ).

4. BrynTeg

BrynTeg
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,075
    its doing my head in and i cant live with it, you cant watch a film with the talking etc being different to the pic, its a problem

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Is this a common problem or only that recording?
    Either way reboot the box and then watch a programme live and if it's ok then Live Pause it then playback and if it's still ok then record it permanently to disk and playback and see if that's ok.

A couple of seconds delay seems a fundemental issue somewhere along the line, it's too big a delay for the normal picture processing time.

6. BrynTeg

BrynTeg
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,075
    yes it is just with underworld, i will recorded again next time to test it.

7. papa_flump

papa_flump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have a new Panny TH50PX70 and for the past two weeks certain programs have been slightly out but still watchable... but by far the worst case has been Catherine Tate on BBC2.. it's horribly out of sync... (not using an amp... just straight to the panel via hdmi.....

Of course the wife noticed it..."why are we spending so much miney etc.. etc.."

8. Barbs

Barbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I have the exact same problem for a panny 42PX60 - I have gone through most makes of Sky+ and now onto HD. I find this really noticeable on the Panny and a real pain in the a....:mad:

is there anyway to get around this or to minimise it? Stopped and playing again? Recordingone channel at a time?

I expect that complaining to Sky will get me nowhere:thumbsdow .. willl it?

Also will routing the sound via an amp achieve anything? i.e. is the issue in the processing in the HD box and therefore using an amp will not work? i would like to know the answer to this as I intend replacing the 5.1 jobby very soon.

Any help will be apprecaited as this is driving me mad!!!

Thanks,

9. Barbs

Barbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    anyone?:lease:

10. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Well all things being equal setting the SKY+HD audio delay should compensate for the video delay created by the TV as it processes the signal regardless of the audio being sent through the TV or via an seperate amp.

Since you have been experiencing it with various SKY+ units and now the HD box it's probably safe to say that your TV is the main factor when it receiving external source material. Now it may be that a broadcast is slightly out (but not noticed by 99.99% of viewers and then the STB adds a few frames of delay and then the TV adds it's own (the total being outside what the box can compensate for) so you may be seeing the cumulative effect.

You need to pin point the problem, using scart connect the SKY+HD, DVD even VHS and with the same TV processing settings compare the sync and if possible try both optical digital and analogue audio connections.
    If you can clearly demonstrate the only sync issues you get are with the SKY+HD box then you at least have the proof to get another box after all it isn't a broadcast issue as such or everyone would have problems regardless of the STB used.

A modern amp should come with audio delay for digital inputs and be more flexible than the SKY+HD function.

11. Looeewoo

Looeewoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I've found that if the sound is seriously out of sync, just switching to another channel for a few secs and then back again usually solves the problem.

12. shuggy

shuggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have no sound synching problems at all with my Loewe spheros and sky HD, but i get terrible subtitle delays with HD transmissions

13. jakronan

jakronan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, Sky One HD subtitles are awful! out of sync and delay. I reported it many times to Sky since last summer. Still no fix. they left it by default. Also no subtitles at all in Sky Sport HD channels. :thumbsdow :mad:

14. Barbs

Barbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I have messed around a bit and there is no doubt that it is the Panny screen, but in saying that I couldn't be the only one with this issue.... does everyone else just accept it???

I also found that it is exaggerated when recording more then one channel and watching a recorded show. Sometimes just stopping and playing again cures this....still it is bloody annoying.

Thanks for the replies.:smashin:

15. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Most Plasmas have a delay. I got used to this but cannot get to grips with SKY HD lip sync which is all over the place sometimes and no amount of farting about with the delay sorts it.

A few weeks ago I recorded Little Miss Sunshine and the sound on L/R channels was crossed. I emailed Sky and received a refund but no explination as to the cause. Still at least I got a refund.