Sound delay problem

snowbhoy

Standard Member
Hi Guys,

I asked this question in cables and interconnects and was redirected here, so here's hoping:

Wonder if anyone can give me advice on a sound delay problem I'm having between my sky HD box and my TV.

SKY TV is connected to Denon amp (AVR-550SD) via optical cable, and to TV via HDMI. WHen I play as normal there is a slight delay between TV and sound (Sound comes before image if that makes sense).

If I playback something I've recorded via sky it's fine, and if I pause the programme for a couple of seconds then play it's also then fine.

Any suggestions on how I fix this?

Cheers.

Gilly!

There is an 'optical delay' setting under 'system setup>sound settings' in the 'services' area just play around until you get it right - mine is set at 140ms

pjsims

Standard Member
heard about this pre sky HD and i thought what a load of rubbish....

mine is set around the same.... ahem :lesson:

cowlid

Standard Member
Should the value be static?

I seem to be moving mine every couple of days to make it okay. Do different channesl require different delays?

Dave

C

chasrc2

Hi

Mine set to 80ms (Yamaha DSP-A2).

A few weeks ago I had to keep re-setting it to between 60ms-120ms but it seems to have settled down now.

Regards

HD-Dude

I have to confess that what I am about to say is extremely contentious and there are those who believe that I am deluded.

I do not have any lip synch problems at all. Set the delay to zero now and keep it that way.

How? I changed the Sky HDMI cable for a QED one. Don't know why it works but it does (I have tried going back to the standard Sky HDMI cable to confirm my findings). I think there is less delay to the video element of the AV sent to the TV but this is just conjecture and, according to others, this should not be so with straight digital connections like HDMI. I guess there might also be a effect due to cable length as well but I have not tried this.

My sound goes via the optical output to a Denon AV amp. I do not use the stereo output on the HDMI cable at all.

Jim.

P.S I wonder why Sky (or thomson) put an optical delay option on their services menu anyway. What problem does this allieviate?

P

Phear

HD-Dude said:
I have to confess that what I am about to say is extremely contentious and there are those who believe that I am deluded.

I do not have any lip synch problems at all. Set the delay to zero now and keep it that way.

How? I changed the Sky HDMI cable for a QED one. Don't know why it works but it does (I have tried going back to the standard Sky HDMI cable to confirm my findings). I think there is less delay to the video element of the AV sent to the TV but this is just conjecture and, according to others, this should not be so with straight digital connections like HDMI. I guess there might also be a effect due to cable length as well but I have not tried this.

My sound goes via the optical output to a Denon AV amp. I do not use the stereo output on the HDMI cable at all.

Jim.

P.S I wonder why Sky (or thomson) put an optical delay option on their services menu anyway. What problem does this allieviate?

Not contentious, impossible. You would need thousands of miles of cable to induce a signal delay in the cable and by then the signal would obviously be too weak for reception. Beyond the point where signal degrades beyond getting any level of reception the quality of the lead has no effect for digital signals, and if its that bad, then its faulty goods :)

Gilly!

HD-Dude said:
I changed the Sky HDMI cable for a QED one. Don't know why it works but it does.
So changing the cable along which your video passes changes the delay on the audio on another output?:eek:

Are you sure you didn't do anything else as well?

Phear said:
Not contentious, impossible.

Certainly is in my case, I'm on component!;)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom