Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sound Cutting Out momentarily on Freeview BBC Channels....

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Paul Cooksley, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi there

Just wondered if anyone else experiences this.

I watch Freeview via a Goodmans set top box - signal strength is quite reasonable. Sometimes I do get the odd picture break up/freeze but not that often.

Just recently I have noticed that the sound on BBC channels will cut out every so often - only for about 1 second - not long at all - but it's enough to notice.

Curiously, this seems to happen on the BBC1 idents in particular - you know like the ballroom dancers/indian dancers etc... The sound always seems to cut out just before the announcer speaks - as I say only for a split second... I know it sounds madness that it happens on these idents - so don't know if it is me/my reception or something the BBC are doing when broadcasting..??

I live in the West Sussex Area so if anyone else has noticed this recently (only noticed this over the past week or so) I'd be interested to hear!!!

Cheers

Paul

2. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    ...just an update on this ... I have been told that this sound glitch that I am hearing is quite possibly when the "now/next" programme information changes on the programme guide. It seems to have happened after a recent Freeview update download... It would make sense as I also hear this glitch just before the ident introducing the programme sometimes and sometimes just after a show has started...

Just wondered if anyone else has noticed this ??

3. addolorata

addolorata

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also get this mini-freeze with sound and vision in sky+
    It may only be small but it is annoying.

4. sdc395

sdc395
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just in case there's any confusion, I'd like to point out that all software updates are from the box makers and not Freeview. There is no "Freeview" software, only Freeview-compatible software written by the manufacturers for their boxes. Back to the original topic...

Personally, I have not noticed any predictable sound glitches with the BBC channels. I have a Sony VTX-D800U which would seem to lend weight to the theory that the problem is specific to the Goodmans box (whichever model it is). I can't rule out a local transmission problem, tho', as I'm in the Midlands.

5. Philip Ayres

Philip Ayres

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies for bringing something back from the depths of time but it's the closest description of the problem I have that I could find.

I've recently bought a freeview box for my Mum and Dad's place in Kingston, SW London - the 40 quid Wharfdale job in the Argos catalogue. Very Happy with it overall (especially pleased when I borrowed it and brought back to Swindon and it fired up here where we didn't think we could get it)

However, while we were visiting at the weekend I noticed that the sound kept cutting out on it momentarily - for about 1 second. Unlike the fault described above it wasn't just on BBC channels and it didn't occur during the BBC Ident headers, the cuttouts were scattered randomly around throughout programs.

Any ideas what it is - or have I just got a dodgy box ?

6. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I get this with my sky+ (also in swindon) but not very often.

7. Philip Ayres

Philip Ayres

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to be clear the problem was noticed at my parents place in London. I didn't have it on long enough here to spot anything wrong.

8. Markkfc9

Markkfc9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It appears to be a similar annoyance to the one I am having also with a Goodmans box. My conclusion is that it is electrical interference when someone is say for example switching on a light or electrical product/fridge or heating thermostat kicks in somehwere in the house. I am 99.9% sure you will find this is the cause and wonder if goodmans boxes are particularly prone to this.

9. Philip Ayres

Philip Ayres

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to try some surge protection on the box and see if this makes a difference.

10. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    The sound cut outs on the freeview boxes are due to weak signal.
    (combined with nasty cheap freeview box)