Question Sound cutting in and out via ARC

ets5048

Novice Member
Reaction score
I am just getting set up with an existing speaker system in my new condo. Have arranged for the following setup:
TV: LG 65UH6030
AV: Sony STR-DH550

Right now, I have the TV going into the receiver via ARC (audio return channel). My cable box is feeding through the receiver (also via HDMI), and the sound has no issues whatsoever. However, when I use the smart TV apps (Netflix, Amazon PRIME, etc.) the sound cuts in and out frequently (1 second cutout every 30-45 seconds).

Any advice? Unfortunately, I cannot use an optical cable, as the single HDMI cable already runs nicely through the walls.

The Sony STR-DH550 was refurbished. My feeling, however, is that it is a setting issue, as sometimes I can change the A/V modes and get the issue to stop. But then it recurs every time I start a new show on Netflix.

Is your TV network connection wireless or wired? When the sound cuts out, does the picture freeze/jump?

It is wireless, however it is only the sound cutting. I've troubleshooted by using the TV speakers and it's clearly the reciever.

It is wireless, however it is only the sound cutting. I've troubleshooted by using the TV speakers and it's clearly the reciever.
You mentioned your existing cable runs through the wall. Is it possible to try a different cable (not through the wall) as a quick test?

Yes, and actually I have. It's re-affirmed by the fact that the cable does function well when passing across my cable box.

The issue seems to be a combination of the apps (Netflix, Amazon) outputting to the receiver. I just can't crack it.

Any other thoughts @Violator ? I am starting to maybe question the refurbishing. The answer honestly seems to be powering the device on/off and going back and forth through the DTS settings. Eventually it stops after I sit there and play with said settings. Unless I am missing something entirely?

Any other thoughts @Violator ? I am starting to maybe question the refurbishing. The answer honestly seems to be powering the device on/off and going back and forth through the DTS settings. Eventually it stops after I sit there and play with said settings. Unless I am missing something entirely?
First off, is it possible to run a lan cable to the tv?

Are you saying Ethernet, @Violator ? That'd be tricky, as the modem is situated upstairs (and the TV downstairs). I am not sure that I can blame the stream. It is clearly the audio only that cuts out.

Are you saying Ethernet, @Violator ? That'd be tricky, as the modem is situated upstairs (and the TV downstairs). I am not sure that I can blame the stream. It is clearly the audio only that cuts out.
It was more a quick test if possible to rule out wireless issues.

You now say fiddling with the dts settings helps? What settings exactly?

Welp, problem solved. I returned the Sony STR-DH550. I ruled out the refurbishing being the issue by buying a brand new system and trying it out. Same issue, so that too was returned.

My new Yamaha RX-V379 (last year's model and still sold on Amazon) allows for seamless ARC communication. Very pleased. In addition, this receiver allows me to watch cable TV while listening to music from the AV channel... big plus!

Welp, problem solved. I returned the Sony STR-DH550. I ruled out the refurbishing being the issue by buying a brand new system and trying it out. Same issue, so that too was returned.

My new Yamaha RX-V379 (last year's model and still sold on Amazon) allows for seamless ARC communication. Very pleased. In addition, this receiver allows me to watch cable TV while listening to music from the AV channel... big plus!
I believe there are varying standards for ARC across different manufacturers, it is often a pain to get to work correctly, if at all.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom