• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sound cutout when turning off tv

tigermad

Distinguished Member
Hello

I have my sound and picture running through HDMI from my HTPS. I often like to play music with the tv off. When I have setup my playlist on mediaportal, i start playback and turn off the tv.

The problem is the amp thinks it has lost signal to the tv and the sound stops momentarily while the amp searches for a signal, then it comes back then goes again and comes back. This is only a matter of a few seconds but very annoying all the same.

I dont suppose there is a way to avoid this?

simon194

Hello

I have my sound and picture running through HDMI from my HTPS. I often like to play music with the tv off. When I have setup my playlist on mediaportal, i start playback and turn off the tv.

The problem is the amp thinks it has lost signal to the tv and the sound stops momentarily while the amp searches for a signal, then it comes back then goes again and comes back. This is only a matter of a few seconds but very annoying all the same.

I dont suppose there is a way to avoid this?

Unfortunately there is no way round it. It's all to do with the way HDMI/HDCP works.

When there is a change on a HDMI port (a device is turned on or off or the video resolution changes) the entire chain has to reinitialise, exchange encryption keys etc. which causes the momentary loss of sound and/or vision.

imilne

Unfortunately there is no way round it. It's all to do with the way HDMI/HDCP works.

There are ways around it, either via a hardware device that tricks Windows into thinking the display/amp is always attached, or by a driver hack/edit (EDID override). The former is pretty much guaranteed to work, but isn't cheap. The latter is fiddly, may not work, but won't cost you anything to try.

See my earlier thread here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/home...56667-gefen-hdmi-detective-plus-any-good.html

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom