Sound cracking on surround channel

micks_address

Hi folks,

On my left surround speaker monitor audio r90hd I've noticed crackling and poor volume from it connected to my Marantz sr6012. First I thought speaker trouble so I connected the same speaker to my right channel wiring nd it's fine. I moved the right speaker back to the left wiring and same crackling. I switched the wiring on the receiver. Plugged the left channel into the right surround outputs and it's fine no cracking. It all points to an issue with the left surround channel on the receiver?

I'm using banana plugs and all connections seem fine. Anything else it could be?

Thanks,
Mick

D

Deleted member 901590

Redo or swap the banana plugs and newly strip ends of wires? Check (even though using plugs) that the terminal red and black things are screwed in on the AVR?

Most bizarre suggestion, but honestly this is through experience, try swapping the main kettle power lead to the AVR. Honestly.

Clutching at straws here though.

If it still does it, consider not giving up on the AVR, as new and used ones cost a million pounds now... I'd just look at a cheap used two channel power amp as your Marantz has pre outs for the surround channels.

Warning though! You could end up with the same crackle from the pre out (the issue could be in pre amp stage). So, if you have a spare integrated or power amp around, then test that first before you spend any money!

micks_address

Redo or swap the banana plugs and newly strip ends of wires? Check (even though using plugs) that the terminal red and black things are screwed in on the AVR?

Most bizarre suggestion, but honestly this is through experience, try swapping the main kettle power lead to the AVR. Honestly.

Clutching at straws here though.

If it still does it, consider not giving up on the AVR, as new and used ones cost a million pounds now... I'd just look at a cheap used two channel power amp as your Marantz has pre outs for the surround channels.

Warning though! You could end up with the same crackle from the pre out (the issue could be in pre amp stage). So, if you have a spare integrated or power amp around, then test that first before you spend any money!
Thanks for the suggestions. It's under warranty with richersounds so I've dropped them an email. For the moment I've just disconnected the speaker to avoid hissing and pops

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom