sound confusion

freestyle

Standard Member
am i going mad?

when i first got my ps3 i'm sure it couldn't output sound over hdmi and optical at the same time meaning i had to have my amp on extremely low for late night gaming.

i've currently got it outputting over both, was i imagining things?

danmc_82

Suspended
No your not, the same thing has happened to me. Must have been a secret update, Shhhhhhhhhh. Not complaining though :smashin:

danmc_82

Suspended
lol I was only joking, I noticed it about 4 days ago but to be honest I diddnt think much of it until now.

Schumi 01

Hi folks just tried mine now i have mine connected through HDMI and optical but i cannot output through both?
any ideas.
thanks

danmc_82

Suspended
Hi folks just tried mine now i have mine connected through HDMI and optical but i cannot output through both?
any ideas.
thanks

Not sure what to suggest, mine was the same as yours up until 4 days ago when it seemed to play through both, Ive got no explaination at all.. sorry. Just keep trying is my suggestion.

Schumi 01

Not sure what to suggest, mine was the same as yours up until 4 days ago when it seemed to play through both, Ive got no explaination at all.. sorry. Just keep trying is my suggestion.

Thanks for the reply, just tried changing the settings, no luck as of yet.
Thanks anyway.

Moogle

Distinguished Member
It doesn't work for me either. The only thing I can think of is that both outputs need to go through an amp. My optical goes through my amp but as I have no HDMI inputs on my amp that is connected directly to my TV. Then again I might just be talking rubbish.

Schumi 01

It doesn't work for me either. The only thing I can think of is that both outputs need to go through an amp. My optical goes through my amp but as I have no HDMI inputs on my amp that is connected directly to my TV. Then again I might just be talking rubbish.

I have the same set up as yourself, just hope sony will allow us to do this in one of their updates, it's a bit annoying changing settings all the time.

danmc_82

Suspended
I have the same set up as yourself, just hope sony will allow us to do this in one of their updates, it's a bit annoying changing settings all the time.

I didnt change settings at all for the sound to come out through tv and amp. My ps3 is connected to amp via optical and to tv via HDMI, In my sound settings I have sound set to come out of optical, but comes out tv to....
Dont ask me how or why.
Like I said though... No complaints from me:D

freestyle

Standard Member
my hdmi goes direct to my tv.

im wondering if this is more of a coincidence than a sony update as it appears that it's not as useful as i hoped. 2 channel from xmb is fine, but when i go into a game thats dolby digital i gain an awful noise to the sound.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom