1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound cards

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by DDDavo, Sep 21, 2003.

1. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Does anybody know of any internal or external sound cards that deliver good dolby 5.1 output via a optical output connection. I would prefer an external unit as i only have 1 pci slot free on my motherboard.

Ideally, i'd like one for no more than £50 and can you get them where they convert stereo sound to come out all 5 speakers?

Many Thanks
    Dave

2. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I swear by Audigy 2 which I run through a 5.1 set of Cambridge Soundworks THX speakers. I have heard nothing on a PC to compare. Price? About £70 which is a bit above your budget but well worth scratching round for the extra dosh.

3. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oops, misread your post. No optical on Audigy 2 I'm afraid.

4. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, Thanks.

You see, the cinema kit accepts optical (5.1) or standard stereo which using dolby prologic 2, it will chuck stereo sound out of all speakers.

I have heard good things about that unit aswell but if it hasnt an optical out, ill have to give it a miss.

Thanks for replying anyway!

CHEERS!

5. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hang on a sec. Are you sure your AV kit will only accept optical in? What about SP/DIF? Also, the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe motherboard has pretty decent on-board Dolby Digital via nVidia's Sonic Storm hardware. As a plus it also reencodes stereo to 5.1. It would save on the price of a dedicated soundcard, still leave a spare PCI slot AND you'd have probably the best mobo of it's type on the market. Provided you've got an AMD engine of course.

6. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Thanks

Nope, got a 633mhz old celeron thats running a bit long in the tooth. If i replace mobo, ill need new memory, new processor!

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion!

Do you have the Audigy 2 ZS (looking on soundblasters website there is than and a new NX or something like that) Is it both an internal and external unit?

Also, i am unsure whether the home cinema syste kit i'd like has spdif. But ill look when i get it. I can always use stereo ouput, just thought i'd go for 5.1

Thanks again!

7. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Running a vintage proccessor like that you would probably struggle to run a lot of the latest 5.1 encoded games.
    If you want it for dvd then that's fair enough.

8. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Audigy 2 comes in internal and external flavours but the external model is quite a bit more expensive. ZS caters for 7.1 but my THX speaker package wais 5.1 and suits my 'plain' internal Audigy 2 just fine. Sound is spectacular and never fails to draw comments when it's heard. Time for some serious upgrading methinks.

9. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok Thanks

I better check system requirements though, i may just stick to my onboard sound for the mo. Im looking at replacing my machine in the neer future, which, will most likely have onboard 5.1 sound as i'd like an MSI mobo!

Thanks anyway, the advice has been useful!