1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound cards music/games/movies etc....blah blah...pls help...

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by oreoboy13, Sep 8, 2003.

1. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After reading past threads all summer my arca cabinets are turning up next week which means i will be building a HCPC, however i am still not completely clear on the actually day to day use of some of the more upmarket sound cards.

I will be using the PC for games, web, music and film storage and scaling to a panny 42PHD6.

All sources will be switced via my denon AVC-11SR and so this is what i will be connecting the sound card to.

---The thing is dont know weather which/if higher end sound cards will support games?

---Obviously i will need to output via spidif for 5/6/7.1 (games and films)but for music would i be better using the phono outs of the card (i.e. are the amp's or the soundcard's DACs better), and is it easy to switch between the analogue and digital outputs?

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's a tough one. Audigys are better for games (EAX & all that) while M-Audio are reputedly the best for pure hi-fi.

nVidia's nForce on-board sound (Soundstorm) will do real time 5.1 encoding allowing 5.1 passthrough via SPDIF for games.

I'm sure others will have more knowledge in this area.

:smoke:

3. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have been advised that solution by others, what bearing would this have in music play back and i am worried about having an amd chip, i always thought that intel was the way to go for hcpc?

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,018
    I don’t know why that would be. I know AMD use to have a floating decimal point which made them better for games. So would this not be good for HCPC???

5. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i just thought it was accepted intel chips are better for heating, compatibility and reliability than amds.

6. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hello

I use a highly overclocked AMD Athlon XP chip in my HTPC as I also play games and surf the web and....... so on. I use a M-audio Revo 7.1 soundcard for my DVD coaxial digital output, and the stereo output for music playback. I also use the onboard sound of the Nforce 2 mobo for all windows sounds, and outputting a optical digital signal for games. I find this is an ideal solution, as when I am playing music through the revo, I do not get bleeps and dings from windows and messenger etc. Also, the games support from the revo is poor, but the Nforce performs flawlessly, and outputs sound of a high standard.

Hope this helps.

Rob

7. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pulsar, that sounds like a good solution, but you effectively have 2 sound cards, how do you control that in software?

8. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hi,

Windows XP seems to take care of everything for me. I have the Nvidia device set as the primary card, and the revo as the secondary. This means that the nvidia soundcard will be used by default, unless I tell that specific program to use the revo. So in my case, the nvidia is used for everything accept for Theater Tek, and Media Center. I have not had one confliction yet. :)

This also comes in handy if you want to play a game, but listen to music from media center at the same time.

Ask if you want any more info.

Cheers

Rob